1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need Slow Shutter Speed Rugged Camera

Discussion in 'Help Team' started by Kezmo, Apr 28, 2017.

1. Kezmo

Kezmo New Member

Hello,

TLDR - I need a rugged camera with a slow shutter speed

I can't find the above combination anywhere

The main feature I want is a slow shutter speed, I find the special effects you can create with water / traffic / lights etc very appealing and thats what I want to photo. I also need it to be rugged - which they don't tend to be. I don't need anything extreme, but water/dust/temp/drop proof would be nice. Under £400 if possible.

I also don't fully understand how to know if a shutter speed is slow enough for what I need.

Olympus TG Tough 1/2 1/2000 <4s night mode
    Nikon action cam 1/2 1/16000
    Olympus action cam 1/2 1/24000
    Nikon Aw130 1/1500 - 1/4000 4s firework scene

When I compare these to Bridge / DSLR cameras, most say 15-30 sec shutter speed, how does that compare to the above?

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

2. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

How slow do you want to go? Most compact cameras (I have no idea what a TLDR is) tend to be limited on slow shutter. Half a second is enough for low light but for vehicle light rails, milky water effects, star trails and similar you are generally looking at times well beyond a second and sometimes up to minutes. Generally that requires a camera with a manual mode rather than scene or other automatic modes.

What sort of environments are you going to use it in as you seem to be looking for something a bit on the weather/shock proofed side?

3. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

TLDR - Too long didn't read?????

4. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

Yes, it's a way of saying, 'here's the summary in case you don't want to read everything under it'.

RogerMac likes this.
  5. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Have you considered a film camera? Dead easy at that price, and far more reliable.

Cheers,

R.

RogerMac likes this.
  6. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

What about more highly specified camera than the Toughs but put in a 'blimp'?

Waterproof , probably in your case, but blimps can also be used for noise or infection suppression. Remember to check that you can still tripod mount the camera.

As a specific camera, how about looking for a s/h bottom of the range (or next one up?) Pentax DSLR from about five years ago? IIRC, they were dust & moisture sealed and cost not a lot of money when new. They seem to handle well in my paws at trade shows so possibly/maybe you would not be dropping it much, either! Perhaps the Pentax experts on here will advise further on that suggestion.

7. AndyTake2

AndyTake2 Well-Known Member

One way around this is to find a camera you are comfortable with that does reasonably slow speeds, and the use multiple exposures and blend them.
    If ruggedness is really important, the. Consider a second hand pro level camera. Nikon D700s are available for around £500 with low shutter counts (I recently sold a couple to WEX for just under £500, one with only 6k shutter count)

8. londonbackpackr

londonbackpackr Well-Known Member

The effects you are talking about a usually done with a combination of slow shutter speeds and ND filters. Light/traffic trails can easily be achieved with shutter speed of a couple of seconds, up to 30 seconds.

The smooth water effect will normally need the use of ND filters and a good one, isn't cheap, something in the 6 -10 stop range usually works for this type of effect..

All of this can be achieved with a bridge or dslr camera.