1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Near Keswick before May? Visit this!

Discussion in 'Talking Pictures' started by gray1720, Mar 29, 2017.

1. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

Keswick Museum have an Abraham Brothers exhibition. Who they? Pioneers of climbing and landscape photography, that's who.

Funnily enough the weakest part of the exhibition is the modern climbing taken with their old Underwoods Instanta 10x12 (inches!) camera - a couple are stunning but many I thought needed RovingMike to prod the levels and, overall, I think George and Ashley made much better use of the light.

Adrian

Attached Files:

RovingMike and peterba like this.
  2. peterba

peterba Well-Known Member

Looks interesting - thanks for posting.

I would almost certainly go to this exhibition... if only it didn't involve a >350 mile journey. :rolleyes:

3. John King

John King Well-Known Member

I visited Keswick Museum several years ago and found it to be a depressing place, I hope it has improved in it's layout and got rid of all the dust on the exhibits. It was in desperate need of a lot of TLC.
    Not somewhere I will be overly keen to visit again unless there is feedback that it is better than I have described.

4. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

Totally refurbished in 2014.

Adrian

5. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

The Lakes in spring, especially outside of school holidays, are well worth a month's visit. Keswick itself is not very nice but the surrounding countryside is wonderful.I would also avoid Windermear village and Grassmear village. Most people are fortuneately too lazy and ignorant to move more than 100yds from their car or motor coach. The people you meet on the fells are usually nice people. The old Wainright guides are still surprisingly relevant together with up to date OS maps. Outdoor leisure OL4,OL5 OL6, OL7 are the relevant maps. Have fun.
    If you go up to the location from which that shot of Nape's needle was taken then pick a dry day. The climbers traverse used to be very popular and the rock became polished but was kept clean by the passage of so many boots. Even school parties did it. These days it is less used, just as polished but covered with a thin living film. It is lethally slippy when wet and some of the potential falls would be fatal. The section near Sphinx rock is particularly tricky in the wet.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2017
  6. peterba

peterba Well-Known Member

I had a short stay in the Lake District (Grasmere/Ambleside area) albeit about 30 years ago - haven't re-visited (properly) since.

Our stay was in mid-winter and the weather was fairly foul, but I can certainly imagine that springtime would be nice... maybe we'll give it a try sometime.

Learning likes this.
  7. John King

John King Well-Known Member

That is good to note, it could not have been any worse.