1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mystery Lens mount

Discussion in 'Lens Matters' started by stewart atkin, Nov 10, 2017.

1. stewart atkin

stewart atkin Member

Hi everyone. I picked up a cheap Bower 300 mm f5.6 telephoto lens that seemed to have a M42 screw mount. It is not a M42 nor is it a T mount. When I measure the outside thread of a M42 mount with a digital caliper I get approx 41.77 . When I measure this one I get approx 42.6. Remember it's a screw on mount and it's bigger that a M42. BTW I use a Lumix GH1.

Is there anyone out there that might have a clue what type of mount this may be ?

2. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

3. stewart atkin

stewart atkin Member

Thanks, I can't figure out how I never was able to find their site. I shall try them for sure.

4. Roger_Provins

Roger_Provins Well-Known Member

Early Miranda SLR's used their own screw lens mount but I think it was bigger than 42.6. I remember because for a short time there were Miranda cameras that could take either a bayonet or a screw lens - but not a M42.

5. stewart atkin

stewart atkin Member

Hi, I already thought of that but I'm not sure. I just got a email from Bower and I send them some photos. It is a mystery. Cheers

6. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

Stewart, not sure why your posts have needed moderator approval to show up. I'll try to find out and keep an eye on the queue to minimise the delay.

7. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

8. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Silly question but did you average several readings? My digital micrometer has decided off days. I can't imagine what fit other than M42 would be on a Bower assuming it is a modern Samyang/Rokinon

9. stewart atkin

stewart atkin Member

Hi, I also thought it could be Miranda but I don't think that I could find an adapter from miranda to 4/3 . Bower is supposed to get back to me. They might have a a different end.The part that screws on it remove able using an allen key. I calculate that if I could change the end piece to 4/3 ot M42 it might work.
    Yeah it's usually T mount on these Bowers. I just traced the mount onto a piece of paper and it is pretty close to 44mm. So maybe it's a Miranda after all,

10. Roger_Provins

Roger_Provins Well-Known Member

I think the thread on the lens is a basic thread onto which it is intended adapters will be fitted for the various different mounts.

11. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

It does seem odd that a modern lens would be issued in Miranda mount.

12. stewart atkin

stewart atkin Member

Well hopefully Bower can shed some light on this one.I have not found any WEB info on this one, only a couple for sale on Ebay and one mentions T mount. Bower markets a 500mm now that looks a lot like mine. Not sure how modern this 300mm is. Maybe some knows its vintage.I didn't pay much for it. It seems like it could be fun as it is much lighter than my 200mm.I have taken some test shots by just holding it manually against the camera. ( Not an idea situation) I also have to find some helicoid adapter to be able to use an old Kollmorgan projectior lens ( ) but that's another topic.

13. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

While Samyang SLR lenses are also branded as Vivitar, Falcon, Rokinon, Walimex, Bower, Opteka, Bell and Howell, Polar, and Pro-Optic. that does not mean all such branded lenses are made by Samyang. As those Marketing Brands also purchase lenses from other manufacturers.

Samyang are known for their very high image quality, and affordable prices, but not yet for their build quality, but they are reported to be rapidly improving in that area.