1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My 'New Toy'-- Gift SF-7

Discussion in 'Pentax Chat' started by PeteE, Aug 1, 2017.

1. PeteE

PeteE Well-Known Member

I was 'gifted' a Pentax SF-7 body by a kind member of The Pentax Forum UK just for £4-40 postage and have been trying it out -- I used different lenses, auto-focus and manual focus and a Ring-flash and TTL flash with my Metz 45CL3 + Pentax Module and it all seems to work OK. I do NOT like the 'DX Coding' though as I want to down-rate outdated film -- I stuck some paper over the DX Cassette contact for outdated 200ASA so it would default to 100ASA -- if I want to re-rate other I have to use 'Manual Exposure' setting and my Weston Master V meter , same as I have to on my Pentax P30n with DX.
    [​IMG]Pentax SF-7 body by Peter Elgar, on Flickr
    [​IMG]SF7 Test 04 by Peter Elgar, on Flickr
    [​IMG]SF7 Test 08 by Peter Elgar, on Flickr
    [​IMG]SF7 Test 12 by Peter Elgar, on Flickr
    [​IMG]SF7 Test 14 by Peter Elgar, on Flickr
    [​IMG]SF7 Test 16 by Peter Elgar, on Flickr

2. PeteE

PeteE Well-Known Member

I did a Video on my SF-7 -- you can see it here :

Done_rundleCams likes this.
  3. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

Certainly looks different. Position of the flash shoe is interesting, not quite the equivalent of off camera but certainly well clear of the lens line. Looks a potentially awkward position for using the camera with a flash mounted - did it prove to be?

4. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

Terrible camera imho. I had an SFX-N bought used, for a very short time, before disposing of it. These ranges were what nearly destroyed Pentax, they were so off the pace.

5. PeteE

PeteE Well-Known Member

I tried it with my Pentax 'Module' for TTL flash metering and the Metz 45CL3 on the bracket as on the LEFT side but the wire connection dangled down from the Hot Shoe a bit. I wish they had provided a 3mm co=axial flash socket.

6. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

First time, I went Pentax AF, Pete, was when I borrowed a PZ-1 w/ the FA 100-300 lens to shoot
    an Indy race in Vancouver and not much later, I was the proud owner of a PZ-1 body which I used
    in conjunction with MX w/ winder and an array of Pentax MF lenses -- 24/2.8, 35/2.8. 85/1.8, 135/2.5, 200/2.5 and a 300/4 --
    I later picked up a FA 35-135 to go with the PZ-1 :)

BTW, I love the grain in your pics, Pete :)

Cheers,

Jack

7. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

The thing I loved about the off set hot shoe, Nigel, was the fact that you could use your add-on flash in bounce mode and use
    the built in flash as fill :)

Cheers,

Jack