1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My Latest 'Toy' but which Model is it ?

Discussion in 'Classic Models & Marques' started by PeteE, Oct 3, 2019.

1. PeteE

PeteE Well-Known Member

Today I was given by a Lady who contacted my Club a 'Kodak Retina' 35mm camera in leather case. It is badly worn. There is bare metal showing all over the body and inside on the film pressure plate and film track. I will have to clean it up. I show pics 'as received' I am not sure but I think it is a 'Retina 1' from about 1934. The lens is a 'Xenar' 50mm f3.5 and shutter is a 'Compur 1-300th + B and T. The slower speeds work OK with just the 1 second being about 1.5 seconds. There is some 'haze' in the Un-Coated lens. I wold be grateful if any Forum Member could give me the right Model Number as the photos of 'Retina 1's' I have seen have different top layouts.
    [​IMG]Kodak Retina 01 by Peter Elgar, on Flickr
    [​IMG]Kodak Retina 02 by Peter Elgar, on Flickr

steveandthedogs likes this.
  2. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

What a lovely little (and, being pre-WW2 it really is little) thing!

I can't help with the model, but Chris Sherwood's Retina pages might? https://retinarescue.com/kodakretinarepairservice.html

If you want to touch up the inside to avoid reflections, Humbrol matt black enamel paint, number 33, is near enough a perfect match for Kodak black.

Adrian

3. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

...but mix really well unless you want your baffles covered in surprisingly shiny eggshell black! :(

4. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

There is one on your man's pages, looks like a 117.

S

5. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

6. PeteE

PeteE Well-Known Member

BREAKING NEWS : I found out from Chris Sherlock the World EXPERT on Kodak Retinas it is a 'Type 118' from 1935 BUT there is a weird COIN screwed into base and the Depth of Field Scale has been MOVED to top LEFT of photo.
    [​IMG]Kodak Retina 03 by Peter Elgar, on Flickr
    [​IMG]Kodak Retina 04 by Peter Elgar, on Flickr

7. gray1720

Well, the DoF scale is a simple idea as underneath the camera is a stupid place to put it! Much more usable on the top.

As for the coin... I can only think that it's one of the first post-WW2 Czech issue, maybe a secret "F-you" to the communists?

Adrian

8. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

How interesting is that?
    It must have a seriously war time history. It would be interesting to see what is on the other side of the coin and more so to know why they went to all the trouble to make the alterations. I must say it is more logical to put the depth of field scale on the top. Perhaps the coin was just a suitable size to cover a hole left in the base.
    Is the case an ERC or a pouch? If it is a ERC the Scale would be covered in use, so reason enough to move it.

There is almost certain to be pin holes in the bellows, in any camera as old and well used as that.

9. PeteE

PeteE Well-Known Member

reply from Kind Lady who gave me the Camera ------
    Dear Peter,
    Oh, how interesting the camera is proving! I'm so glad you've been able to put a date on it and that the shutter is working. I'm afraid I can't fill in any details about the camera at all: it just knocked around at home and I remember Dad taking black and white pictures with it in the 1960s and 1970s (during and after which it rather fell into disuse in favour of his cine camera, disc camera,Instamatic, etc.) Dad died more than 20 years ago so I'm unable to find out more. He joined the Merchant Navy as a cadet during the Second World War and continued to sail the Seven Seas until he took a shore job in the mid-1950s, so I'm guessing the camera may be something he picked up on his travels.
    I hope your presentation at the club meeting this evening goes well; sorry I can't supply more details about the camera's provenance.
    Kind regards,
    Kate

John Farrell likes this.
  10. PeteE

PeteE Well-Known Member

I did a VIDEO about this RETINA -- you can see it here -- I show some actual PRINTS taken with it !

Terrywoodenpic likes this.
  11. gray1720

Bonusprint film... that's a historic artifact in itself! Mind you, I have a roll of Tudor I use for the same purpose.

Adrian

12. gray1720

Oops, sorry Pete, I didn't realise that you were goingto paint the outside, or I'd have suggested looking for the semi-gloss paint (85, I think, that's scary, haven't built a model aircraft in decades but still remember the paint codes!) for it.

Adrian

13. PeteE

PeteE Well-Known Member

I had to go all the way to Hobby Crafts, CHELMSFORD at Great Expense on FUEL to get that Number 33 ! Now you want me to return to get Number 85 ! Oh Well ------