1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My first attempt a macro...go easy

Discussion in 'Exhibition Lounge' started by pixelpuffin, Jul 28, 2019.

1. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

I don't, I'm sorry. I've kind of just stumbled through it over the past 12 years or so.

I'm probably putting you off unnecessarily, I am a notoriously negative person. Getting in to it to start with will be fine, if you want to film for a bit on your DLSR, transfer the file to your PC (same as you do with images, although see below*), and then upload to YouTube, you won't have to do anything, it'll all probably work fine.

* If I recall, you don't have a PC and do your stuff with a tablet? That might be more challenging with videos.

The 70D does these video options,

upload_2019-8-4_22-26-28.png

I recommend using 1920 x 1080 at 30p (roughly 30 frames per second), with IPB if you're going to upload straight to YouTube. If you want to do high-end editing you would choose ALL-I which gives you better per-frame quality.

The 200D supports the same size (1920 x 1080 at 30p) but will also do that resolution at 60 frames per second (which will let you play back at roughly half speed, slo-mo, if you wanted to). To do that on the 70D you'd need 1280 x 720.

So I suggest picking the highest resolution, and 30p (for normal playback), but using IPB if offered the choice (smaller file size, not as good for editing but unlikely to notice any difference in actual viewing).

2. alfbranch

alfbranch Well-Known Member

Well you have made a good start on the road to macro photography. Getting things in frame and in focus is the first challenge then you need to start getting the light and PP to get the best shots.

You may well be told you have to do many things like use a tripod and a focusing rail. You need to start getting more selective in which shots are good enough.

Macro video is not at all easy have a look here

https://flic.kr/p/tL4ZYc

daft_biker likes this.
  3. pixelpuffin

pixelpuffin Well-Known Member

Thank you both for replying
    Tony, I'm now using a laptop (running win 10) hopefully that should be ok.

What I noticed earlier using the TZ70 hi speed (200x) was that the footage was incredibly stable - if slightly out of focus sometimes. The fly that I was filming wasn't moving, so I really shook the flower yet the footage is so stable I guess this is a combination of 5 axis iIS plus slo-motion. In any case I loved it. The fly moved like I never expected . It was fascinating to playback and view in detail
    I'm going to try this again this week (tz70) also want to see if I can tone down the colour and boost the contrast - I'm trying to get that cinematic look with colour grading.

Found a few book on Amazon , dropped the canon in the search bar and tried video film making ... Bingo
    Loads to choose from, could have it delivered tomorrow with prime or Thursday used for a penny plus postage...I'll opt for the penny one!!
    And whilst waiting for it to arrive get some practice.