1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My first attempt a macro...go easy

Discussion in 'Exhibition Lounge' started by pixelpuffin, Jul 28, 2019.

1. pixelpuffin

pixelpuffin Well-Known Member

WOW....in flight too.
    You've thrown the gauntlet down !!

2. pixelpuffin

Well as promised, got home and made the 2nd diffuser. This one is really for use with the 60mm, but I tried it out with the 35mm + 20mm ext tube.
    I did try reversing the 24mm STM with a 36mm ext tube.....way overkill. So reverted back to the 35mm
    image.jpeg

3. pixelpuffin

image.jpeg image.jpeg Okay a few sample shots...

Last edited: Aug 2, 2019
    El_Sid and daft_biker like this.
  4. pixelpuffin

image.jpeg

daft_biker likes this.
  5. pixelpuffin

image.jpeg image.jpeg

6. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

I like the centipede!

7. pixelpuffin

Thanks
    He wasn't very happy - I had to keep pushing him back. I did get a spider munching on a fly in his web, but sadly it's not quite pin sharp.
    Tomorrow - I've got the day to myself so will be out again, I might venture into the woods with both 35mm & 60mm.

What's your opinion of the new diffuser light?
    I think it looks more natural - but then these were taken midday - all previous shots have been 5-8pm. Maybe ambient light softened these images.

8. pixelpuffin

Had a bash at macro using 5dii with the ef-s 35mm macro + tubes.

Had to ramp up the contrast as the images seemed a little flat compared with APs-C format

The shutter/aperture was set to what I've used all week 1/60th f16 ISO auto
    Light was from hotshoe mounted 270exii fired through a diffuser.

image.jpeg

Andrew Flannigan and daft_biker like this.
  9. pixelpuffin

image.jpeg Another..

I'm gonna go grab the 100mm usm and see what that delivers on FF.

daft_biker likes this.
  10. PeteRob

The hoverfly is good, you did well not to spook it.

11. pixelpuffin

Hmm, not too impressed with either the ef-s 60mm or the 100mm usm. Both proved to be really hardwork to get results. I think it's the IS on the 35mm - it seems to make all the difference.

Depth of field with the 100mm on FF is appalling. Even shooting at f16 - there's nothing there!!

image.jpeg

12. pixelpuffin

image.jpeg

13. PeteRob

Yes, that is why folks use focus stacking and mount the camera on a macro-rail on a tripod so that the position can be set to high precision - it of course requires that the subject doesn't crawl off.

14. pixelpuffin

Decided to have another crack with the 60mm
    I upped the shutter speed to try and avoid camera shake
    image.jpeg image.jpeg

daft_biker likes this.
  15. pixelpuffin

I think this was more luck than skill. I didn't know I'd caught it in mid air!!
    image.jpeg

16. pixelpuffin

Managed to get outside for half hour earlier. This spider has been by far the most difficult one to photograph - I've tried several times yet each time the image was always out of focus. This is my best attempt so far.

Also had a bash at hi speed video using my LUMIX tz70 compact.....WOW!!

Nothing amazing but I can see this aspect drawing me in more than Still photography. I love watching the moody cinematic look videos posted on YouTube. It all sounds very technical with the colour grading tutorials

If I knew how to upload a clip of what I shot earlier here on the forum I would do so - fascinating stuff image.jpeg

Last edited: Aug 4, 2019
  17. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

Video is the rabbit hole from hell. Be careful.

Hosting stuff is easy, just create a YouTube account, and then drag and drop your video, YouTube will do the rest. Then just post the YouTube URL here.

18. pixelpuffin

Tony, can you elaborate on the hell bit please. I'd like to know what the minefields are.
    I have both the 70d & 200d plus several STM lenses. Besides the software what is the main downside. I'm not interested in adding any sound.

19. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

With photographs, you can quibble over JPG vs RAW, and the occasional commentary about TIFF.

With video, you need to start looking at codecs, containers, encoding (and/or transcoding), non-linear video editors, etc. Unless you literally take every video file straight from the camera and dump it on YouTube (you can do, it'll work fine), working with video is an order of magnitude more complex than working with static images.

20. pixelpuffin

That does sound daunting Tony - can you recommend a fairly simple book that covers the basics of doing video with DSLRs ? I'd like to read up on what exactly I'm getting into.
    I had a brief look on Amazon " canon DSLR video" in the book section ...nothing! I could probably spend days researching for a simple introduction type guide book - like dummies.
    If any spring to mind please do share.