1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My first attempt a macro...go easy

Discussion in 'Exhibition Lounge' started by pixelpuffin, Jul 28, 2019.

1. pixelpuffin

pixelpuffin Well-Known Member

Cheers PeteRob
    I suspect had I used my 60 or 100mm macro the flash would be underpowered, as it is, using the 35mm I was right up to the subject 2-3cm away at most, the ant shots had the lens touching the tree trunk. the little critters kept climbing onto the camera...shudders!!

I love the texture of the snail, you can almost feel the moisture. That lens is a cracker, the IS coupled with the relatively short focus is brilliant. Trying to photograph the ants was so hard, I switched AF off, left IS on and rested the lens on the tree - but it was still hit and miss.

I've really enjoyed doing this, I'm looking for earwigs..can't find any. Going to try my luck with spiders too!!

daft_biker likes this.
  2. pixelpuffin

Been out again, this time I added a 12mm extension tube.
    image.jpeg image.jpeg

3. pixelpuffin

image.jpeg image.jpeg

4. pixelpuffin

image.jpeg

5. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

You are getting better - be selective of what you take and paste one or two in Appraisal.

6. pixelpuffin

image.jpeg I don't think I'm quite ready for appraisal yet.
    TBH I'm utterly floored by the level of detail - they are soooo small yet the lens captures so much detail.

Can I just add this picture of the tree that all these pictures have come from, I think it knocks it home just how close I'm going.
    Been hunting for spiders webs - cannot find a single one!! Dark now :(

Last edited: Jul 30, 2019
  7. pixelpuffin

Back out again this evening
    Used a different camera (70d) wanted a larger viewfinder
    Camera set to manual f16 1/60th ISO auto added a 20mm ext tube to the 35mm STM plus the pop up diffuser. image.jpeg

Andrew Flannigan and daft_biker like this.
  8. pixelpuffin

image.jpeg Head shot at last!!

daft_biker likes this.
  9. pixelpuffin

image.jpeg

El_Sid, MJB and daft_biker like this.
  10. PeteRob

Excellent piggy-back!

daft_biker likes this.
  11. pixelpuffin

Another go tonight, same set up as yesterday.
    Decided to give the ants a night off!

Found my spider!!! image.jpeg image.jpeg

12. pixelpuffin

image.jpeg

13. pixelpuffin

image.jpeg

14. PeteRob

Found and frightened it! Practice works doesn't it!

15. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

Good stuff.... it is a male Garden Spider. This time of year the adult males go wandering for females who can often be found sitting in the middle of a web during the day.

Sometimes you might find a male hanging around the outside of a female's web waiting for her to catch a meal before he attempts to mate. Round here the easiest species to catch in the act is Metallina Segmentata because it is so abundant..... a smaller, not too distant relative, of the garden spider but a wee bit smaller and less fussy about where it builds a web. Happy hunting:)

16. pixelpuffin

It certainly does Pete

I'm loving this, really enjoying it. I've gained a huge amount of respect for the little critters.

I finish work early on Fridays, so It's pot noodle and potted meat sandwiches for breakfast and lunch (yum yum)
    I want to make another pop up diffuser, This time the end diffuser cone (potted meat) will be attached concave rather than convex, Will also not have it tilted down as much and will make the "hood" slightly longer. Also considering lining the pot noodle with tin foil to throw more light out. Reason is, I tried the diffuser I already have with the ef-s 60mm macro...not very good. And also, because I'm going to reverse my 24mm stm onto my 36mm extension tube.

Just hope the weather holds up.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2019
  17. PeteRob

You are on the slippery slope toward a ring flash.

18. pixelpuffin

Cheers daft biker, sorry your reply popped up whilst replying to pete.
    I found the female in her web in the back garden, but only got 2 shots before she had to dash. both weren't very sharp due to breeze blowing the web. Also went looking for creepy crawleys , something very long with lots of legs scurried off when I moved some stones, so I'll be back there tomorrow. I want a picture of the devils coachman.

Once I'm more confident with this set up , I'll be off into the local woods. a few ponds there and I'm told dragonflies too.

daft_biker likes this.
  19. pixelpuffin

No, I have a ringflash - hate it!
    Was going to buy the canon twinflash clone - however, I just don't want to make this more complicated than it needs to be. I've come to the logical conclusion that provided I'm very (very) close to the subject the pop up should suffice. Gn13 is a lot when the subject is less than 4" away from the sensor.
    I'm still only shooting in jpeg - no desire to move to raw either.

If I find I need more power I have a few 270ex ii plus the ST E2, also a huge array of assorted flash brackets.
    But it's all extra weight and worse cumbersome when trying to get in close. The pot noodle is working brilliantly at the minute.

20. PeteRob

Good luck - the blessed things never stay still for me (or face the right way)

[​IMG]274A6602.jpg by Pete, on Flickr