1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My first attempt a macro...go easy

Discussion in 'Exhibition Lounge' started by pixelpuffin, Jul 28, 2019.

1. pixelpuffin

pixelpuffin Well-Known Member

Decided to have a bash at macro today. Used a Canon 100d, 35mm f2.8 IS STM, pop up flash with homemade diffuser.

Whilst not amazing, they've certainly whetted my appetite to take more...much more.
    Images are JPEGs , then resized for uploading...
    Go easy, the ants were a nightmare to photograph, but as this is on my patio I guess I'll have many more opportunities to perfect my technique. image.jpeg

2. pixelpuffin

image.jpeg And the ants..

3. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Can only go easy, this is not Appraisals. Looks like bit of a barney going on between the ants. Well done for getting anything in focus.

4. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Good start, especially with moving subjects! I like the environmental portrait approach. As Mike said, if you want critique post in Appraisal.

5. pixelpuffin

Cheers for the comments, yeah I realised after posting that this section was not critique - I'll prefer to hang out here for a while!!
    I like the "environmental portrait" term - never occurred to me that was what it was classed as.
    The ants were so hard to get. Which I guess you already all knew. I did try to use a tripod but it was more of a hindrance than help as these were photographed on the tree trunk.
    I'm definitely going to have another bash. I've been wanting to get into this for so long, but never seemed to have the time due to other commitments - that's now easing so hopefully I'll be back outside ASAP

I want to get the millipede/centipede style shots, also the common fly. Not so bothered with bees or butterflies just yet

I'm chuffed to bits with my DIY flash diffuser (cobbled from a pot noodle) initially I was thinking of getting the proper macro flash but besides the unwanted expense I quite honestly didn't fancy the bulk either. However I realise the pop up approach is quite limiting forcing me to choose between higher ISO or wider apertures.
    But it's baby steps time, so I'll go with the flow.

6. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

That's the way ants chat, but a picture of a woodlouse's backside? Not very polite towards the poor thing.

Must have been tricky to get the pics, though.

S

7. pixelpuffin

Yep, I only just got told that's it's arse!!
    Shows my ignorance - also been told to find a devil horseman ?? Off to google

I'd like to buy a really good UK insect pocket guide - possibly page per insect.
    Any suggestions??

8. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

Can't remember the last time I saw one of those. I used to see them all of the time as a kid. Not that I'm sorry. Bloody horrible things. Almost as bad as earwigs and woodlice, although I do like that photo.

9. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

Start with something like a Collins guide to British wildlife and then build your collection with books that add something?

Looks like you have made a good start on the pics and found a setup that works well. See what else you can discover out there.

10. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Yes. But growing up in Singapore we used to see ant wars, which were very vicious things. The ground would be littered with dismembered ant parts after.

11. pixelpuffin

Just ordered the Collins guide, arriving Wednesday - thanks for the heads up.

Can't wait to get back out this afternoon.

Will upload what I find.

daft_biker likes this.
  12. pixelpuffin

Been out... image.jpeg

13. pixelpuffin

image.jpeg

14. pixelpuffin

image.jpeg image.jpeg

15. pixelpuffin

image.jpeg image.jpeg

16. pixelpuffin

image.jpeg image.jpeg

17. pixelpuffin

image.jpeg

18. pixelpuffin

image.jpeg image.jpeg

19. pixelpuffin

Just thought I'd add a couple of pics of the flash diffuser - it works like a charm - note the plastic tab on the rear that slides through into the hotshoe to secure.
    image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Dan S likes this.
  20. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Very clever! Those on-camera flashes are not the strongest (GN ~13) so I'm suprised you get useful illumination.