1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My coffee machine it ain't pumpin' what am I gonna do.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by frank1, Dec 14, 2013.

1. frank1

frank1 Well-Known Member

Yes my delonghi expresso machine is not pushing the water through the coffee. I have to guess that the pump is but a dead parrot. I've run through descaler twice after the first time it was ok. Within a week or so it's stopped pushing water through the coffee filter. It's not a pod one just the fresh coffee in the filter. With out coffee it works. I know there are some on here that like their fix. My machine is a cheap one £80 minus a penny in the shops although Amazon have them at £149.00.
    Question is can it be fixed and it is out of guarantee or does Xmas have to be abandoned so I can buy a new machine. Jimmy Stewart thought he had problems.

2. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Sounds more a lounge question than help team but I guess you are desperate. I'd suspect limescale in the first instance but they must have a safety device in case of blockage because you cannot just keep heating water in a closed system it is too dangerous so maybe a pressure relief has failed.

3. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

Since it is not working and a replacement is £80 a non-diy fix is likely to be uneconomical you have little to lose by having a go yourself. I don't know what the spare parts situation is for items like this though.

4. Alex1994

Alex1994 Well-Known Member

If you search for "how to repair an espresso machine" you'll find quite a lot of sites about how to attempt a repair.

5. frank1

frank1 Well-Known Member

Yes Nimbus I agree not an economical fix and I am trying the diy route but I think I did some damage. Where once there was no leak there is one now.

Pete I wasn't sure where to put it and yes I am desperate. No espresso this morning climbing up the walls at present. I suspect it is limescale also I wasn't as good about de-scaling it as I should have been.

Alex I had not thought to go online for research it's something I should have thought about. As I've said I may have damaged it anyway but I'll carry on. As this is the second within 5 years still cheaper than buy it from various coffee shops and the quality is always to my expectations. Some of the big coffee houses leave a lot to be desired. Especially when it comes to espresso.

6. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

^ When you make it yourself you can make it so that it it is to your preference. I have never descaled my Krups filter coffee maker in the seven years I have had it, but the local water is not hard.

7. Craig20264

Craig20264 Well-Known Member

Frank,
    Have you changed your coffee brand. The reason I ask is that we have the same machine and had had similar issues, but only with certain brands of coffee. It seems to be the really fine ones that cause the problem, as if they pack down to densely. Just a thought.

8. 2lude

2lude Well-Known Member

Hammer + technical touch generally fixes everything if that fails use a sledge hammer on it then use a credit card at a local shop to buy a new one that will guarantee a result ;)

9. frank1

frank1 Well-Known Member

Funny you should ask that. Yes I have but it's a change from one Lavazza Rossa to Lavazza Qualita Oro. I have cleaned all the filters and not compressing it as much. As I've said the water is being pumped through but when the filter is added. It stops and you know the noise they make when operating. Well that stops when the green light is on and I'm trying to make the coffee.

10. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

Stop using gizmos to make coffee. a cafetiere doesn't have anything to go wrong unless you carelessly break the glass. For a more bitter drink, which I like, then one of those 'put on the stove' espresso makers like the one that fictional Sicilian TV detective uses is excellent. My version even has a fusible safety valve to stop it blowing up.

11. frank1

frank1 Well-Known Member

I have both of these the stove one I used yesterday today I can't separate the top from the bottom. Short of putting it in a vice it's not budging. The cafetiere uses a lot more coffee to get the coffee I need. Plus you don't get the crème from either of these that you get from the espresso machine.

Besides the espresso machine does make a superior coffee. A friend of mine has a house in Italy and I've become accustomed to Italian coffee espresso at least. As an aside the French can't make a decent espresso. I've got nothing against the French in the slightest but come on what's with the coffee.

All this talk about coffee but no espresso for me.

12. BikerMike

BikerMike Well-Known Member

I have a DeLonghi coffee maker (BCO 255), which makes (made :() cappuccinos, espressos and filter coffees. It worked well for almost exactly one year, then the steamer broke, not blowing the steam out, so no more cappuccinos.

I had the receipt, showing it had been bought just over one year before, so I contacted DeLonghi, who looked up the serial number and claimed that because they had sold it to the retailer more than one year before I bought it, they would not honour their one-year guarantee.

They gave me a list of repairers, but to repair it would have cost almost what the new machine cost.

Thanks for nothing, DeLonghi.

Regards, Mike

P.S. Nothing really beats a simple, octagonal Bialetti Moka machine for great Italian espressos - and they can't break.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2013
  13. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

You could always drink tea

14. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

After trying a variety of coffee making techniques and machines, I settled on two cafetieres. The small size for me when alone, and a larger one for when there's two of us. I hadn't realised that they use a lot of coffee relatively, so I wonder how long it would take for an espresso machine to pay for itself? The big push in John Lewis seems to be for the pod style machines which rely on a source of aluminium(?) wrapped pods of mainly flavoured coffee - what's wrong with coffee, pure and simple?
    A few years ago I bought my daughter a milk frother for Xmas, and what a disaster that turned out to be. At least the suppliers honoured their guarantee, but I think she had 3 of them all failing in the same way, before deciding on other ways of frothing the milk.

15. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

Count your blessings it wasn't one of these...

http://www.johnlewis.com/jura-giga-5-one-touch-bean-to-cup-coffee-machine-aluminium/p231749779

Some people must be really stupid.

16. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

[/QUOTE]before deciding on other ways of frothing the milk.[/QUOTE]

Whisk? Fork?

17. southonline

southonline Well-Known Member

not so much stupid, but can afford it! - some people don't think twice about spending 100k on a car..

if your looking at coffee machine recommends try Gaggia, its an Italian brand and I've owned one for 10 years and have serviced it myself as its built like a tank ;o) and you can pull the thing part and buy most spares ....plus I think new its only £200 so won't break the bank

http://www.coffeeitalia.co.uk/proddetail.php?prod=ff-gaggia

18. Atavar

Atavar Well-Known Member

19. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

Well one thing I would reckon is certain, you won't buy any of their products in the future.

20. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

Well one thing is pretty certain, you are unlikely to buy any of their products in the future. I have one of their toasters, I wouldn't have another, it's c**p.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2013