1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My camera simply wouldn't take a piture

Discussion in 'Talking Pictures' started by Michael Gervais, Mar 4, 2017.

1. Michael Gervais

Michael Gervais New Member

Hi,

So I have a Nikon D3200. I was out shooting this morning [sunrise] and the issue I have is not the first time it's happened. I'm not sure if it's in my settings but whenever I'm shooting in a low light situation sometimes the camera takes the pictures sometimes it doesn't. Same scene, same time, but when I press halfway on the shutter to get the focus I hear nothing. No beep....nothing. But then I point camera let's say to the ground then all of a sudden now I'm getting the camera to focus. But now it's metered in the wrong spot. I'm not sure why this is happening. I usually shoot with these settings.

-Aperture priority

-RAW / JPEG

-ISO at 100 whenever I can [I do mostly landscape]

-Matrix Metering

-Single Point Viewfinder

-Auto Area AF

-Built-in AF-assist Illuminator

-Standard Picture control

-White Balance [AUTO]

I'm guessing I obviously need to plan ahead and place the settings for low light situations before heading out. I also just realize I probably should of had the Picture Control at Landscape as well. I appreciate any and all responses. Thank you!

Mike

2. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

It's not obtaining focus - insufficient subject contrast or just too low light. Switch to manual focus and you should be ok.

3. Michael Gervais

I knew it had to be something so simple. That makes all the sense in the world to me now. I was using my Tokina 11-26 mm and I actually did take it off AF and it worked but never gave it a second thought afterwards. I was so caught up in getting the shot before it passed me by. Thanks Benchista...a bunch! ;)

4. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

If you are doing landscape there is no case for autofocus anyway. Most of the time is going to give you infinity, rather than a hyperfocal point.

5. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

Agree with above. You may find the camera actually performs slightly better at 200 iso than at 100.

6. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

I wouldn't gat into thinking that you need always to set Picture Style to "Landscape" for landscape either. Not sure exactly what the Nikon version does but generally landscape style saturates greens and blues. This suits some scenes but can often be overpowering in others. If you are saving raw files the setting makes no permanent difference but it does affect jpgs.

With metering, unless you change the settings, cameras will meter and focus on half-shutter press. If you want to meter in one place and focus in another there should be an exposure lock button that will hold the metering setting, usually for a few seconds, while you refocus. These days most cameras can also be configured to move focus control away from the shutter release onto another button which lets you focus independently of metering and of taking the picture. This can be useful, for example you can focus where you want for a landscape then concentrate on the framing, but always put the setting back or the next day you will be wondering why the camera doesn't focus anymore when you press the shutter release.

7. Michael Gervais

33 years ago photography was going to be my career of choice. School photographer, local newspaper photographer, Navy photographer, commercial photography studio hand, and some schooling in Rhode Island, were all the steps I took to prepare. I had a very good 3rd-eye then. Then life happened at 24, a choice was made out of necessity, picked a hammer so I could eat under a roof and 33 years later I have a successful home remodeling business.

Now I'm 3 weeks into my old passion again with DSLR for the first time and I'm beginning to realize I may as well get use to doing it the old way as I did with my FE2 30 some years ago. Auto function was never really a consideration knowing there's more control in manual. But auto-focus was always convenient and I'm sure it can still be. But I'm sure all the good ones out there tend to go full manual. I plan on being very good at this!

Thanks Mike

And thanks to all for your replies. Onward and forward!

8. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Best of luck, I'm sure you'll be successful. But very few people use manual all the time. It's not a matter of good or bad,or pro or amateur, but horses for courses. Landscape or macro yes, street or reportage no, other genres, possibly rarely.

Let me know when you're going for ARPS.

9. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

A picture was not taken to be talked about. Is this thread in the right place?

10. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

No, should have been in help, but problem solved.

11. dan marchant

dan marchant Active Member

Why would you need to do that? Photography is about capturing the moment. How will you know hours earlier what the situation will be. Set the settings when you get there to suit the environment (and the result you want) at that time.

12. Craig20264

Craig20264 Well-Known Member

I take most of my landscapes in Aperture Priority. This is what matters to me most as I want the lens to be the best it can be, and give me sufficient depth. ISO is always 100, The shutter speed will be what it will be. Scene modes are there to confuse you, Ignore them.

13. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

Even an entry level camera, like the Nikon D3200, is a very complex beast compared to cameras of 30-40 years ago. Not just with DSLRs but any with any digital camera it is worth checking your equipment through and making basic settings or at least doing a re-set from whatever you had been photographing previously, either the night before or early before going out. It is a very good idea to work that way.

Several recent Threads on the AP Forums are really pushing me to resurrect an old weekly/occasional Thread of mine. Thanks for the added inspiration. Hope the answer helped you.

14. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

Unless, Craig, it is a Scene Mode or Full Auto that is all that's available, as on a Nikon Coolpix L25 or on a mobile phone camera. Obviously the OP could shoot on manual on the D3200 although I've no idea how easy it is to do compared to his camera of 30 years ago. Life - for photographers - has been made considerably more complex with the passing of time! Cheers, Oly