1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My camera Canon 650D won't focus automatically

Discussion in 'Help Team' started by Jan08, Oct 10, 2017.

1. Jan08

Jan08 Member

Suddenly - (no damage to camera) the camera won't operate on AF. It has always done so. I may have been playing about with different functions but if so , don't know what Ive done. I've tried a lot of things and the manual is not really helping.
    I'm a long long way from any kind of shop and wondered if anyone has any ideas . I've tried it on all shooting modes. Dont know what else to try. Help!

2. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

Not wishing to state the obvious, but have you accidentally knocked the switch on the lens to MF? Also try removing and reattching the lens.

3. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

Another possibility is you may have accidentally reassigned AF to another button.

4. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

The two things are: disabling AF and remapping the AF function from the shutter release. If you have been messing with the custom functions then that's most likely what you have done. Often called back-button focus it lets you use AF to fix a focussing distance. Useful when AF by itself keeps jumping about.

5. Jan08

Jan08 Member

I don't mind anyone stating the obvious. Rather feel an idiot and have my camera reigned to full health.No - the lens is still on AF. I have tried detaching nd attaching the lens - will try gain . I DIS SWAP LENSES LAST TIME I USED IT

6. Jan08

Jan08 Member

SO how can I get it back to 'say' factory settings?

7. Jan08

Jan08 Member

I may - but not sure how. Is there a way of resetting the whole camera - like a smartphone

8. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

It will be in the manual which you can download from the Canon site. These days of context menus I'd expect it to be clear from the LCD description - not like when the options were all of the form CF 24 choice 1 or 0 when you needed the manual to say what function 24 was.

9. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

My Nikon Df did that a while back. I had managed to knock one tiny button near the lens mount when I was putting the camera into a pocket. It's worse still when you accidentally press TWO buttons in a particular sequence, and don't know which buttons or what the sequence was...

This is one of the many reasons I like film cameras!

Cheers,

R.

10. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

reset.JPG

Roger Hicks likes this.
  11. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

A long while ago I had the same problem with an Olympus. - completely cured by cleaning the gold contacts in the body / lens mount

That may not cure it but it is cheap

12. EightBitTony

• Is this true of just one lens, or all lenses you have?
    • Is it true for all camera modes (Av, Tv, M, P, etc?)
    • Do you get an error?
    • Does the camera take a shot, or does it refuse to and make the 'out of focus' beep?
    • Does using liveview change the behaviour?

RogerMac likes this.
  13. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Could be something as simple as the lens being not quite mounted correctly. Remove it, clean the gold contacts on both camera and lens, and try again. Turn AF off on the lens and back on again.

14. Jan08

Jan08 Member

15. Jan08

Jan08 Member

After Ive tried a few things - will check these questions. I have not had an error message. It was trues for all modes. No out of focus beep. It doesn't take a shot unless i revert to manual. Will check other lens. Will check live view.

16. EightBitTony

"It doesn't take a shot unless i revert to manual"

What does that mean please? Does that mean if you switch the lens to auto-focus, it doesn't actually allow you to take a photograph?

17. Jan08

Jan08 Member

Yes - that's correct. And it always has done before. Will take one on Manual, but sometimes out of focus.
    Ive just tried AFon my long lens and it works perfectly...... what does that suggest? I've cleaned all the gold contacts as some people suggested.

18. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Well it means your problem is with the lens, not the camera.

19. Jan08

Jan08 Member

That's what I feared. It would certainly seem so. Does the mean a new lens?

20. Jan08

Jan08 Member

Many thanks for all your suggestions. I think I will have to go to a shop and let them take a look at the lens