1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mr Farage

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by steveandthedogs, May 24, 2014.

1. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

Does anyone else think he looks like Wallace?

With about the same grasp on reality?

2. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

I don't think that matters. What does matter is that he's getting the others to realise that some of us are very tired of broken promises etc. going back many years. Interesting times ahead, as Cameron and Milliband react.

3. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Come on, be fair. One is a cartoon character who by definition cannot be said to have any grasp on reality and the other has starred in Oscar-winning films.

Cheers,

R.

4. TimHeath

TimHeath Well-Known Member

I totally agree.

5. miked

miked Well-Known Member

Ah, yes, this will be the gent who will, unhesitatingly, form an alliance with the Tories following next year's election - the Lib Dems having been wiped off the political map. A complete sham - a farrago - and hardly worth a mention.

6. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

He has a face that is crying out for Spitting Image to make a comeback.

7. AGW

AGW Well-Known Member

While there is a striking resemblance to Wallace.....I actually thought he was a character from "Little Britain". Sadly it seems he is not intended to funny. Waste of talent really.

Graeme

8. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

If he ever does make it to power, buy a tin hat - the shrapnel from all the broken promises will be lethal.

Or if we do have a revolution based on "I don't like my neighbour", then think of what has happened in just about all revolutions since the French one. Mr F has started the roundabout, I just hope he knows where the brakes are...

9. PhilW

PhilW Well-Known Member

I don't think that matters. What does matter is that he's uncovered the unpleasant truth that a lot of people are not young, educated or cultured. Terrifying times ahead, as Cameron and Milliband react to the lowest common denominator!

10. Roger Hicks

True. A lot of people thought Hitler was a joke, too. To quote T.E. in Rattigan's Ross, "It's a joke. Not the kind you laugh at. Just a joke."

At least I think I was Rattigan. It might have been the movie.

It's obvious why plenty of people are not young. On the other hand, why are they neither educated nor cultured? My suspicion is the relentless utilitarianism of education, which regards culture as optional, and the nature of culture as presented in the media, sorry, meejah, which makes too sharp a distinction between "popular" and "highbrow". Listen to a pseudo-intellectual attacking Sir Terry Pratchett, arguably the greatest writer of our day, and probably the most intellectual writing in English (he's our Umberto Eco). He's much too popular for their taste.

Cheers,

R.

11. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

I don't find Nigel Farrago (As in farrago of lies) at all funny. TBH he scares the bejeezus out of me. Enough morons may swallow his cods-wallop to pull us out of the EU. Even if he doesn't get enough votes himself he may frighten the Tories into pulling us out.

I hope to God I'm just brewing up worries.

12. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

'fraid that label has already been taken by Ed Balls :D with EdM as Gromit. :rolleyes: TBH, Farage reminds me of a Beano composite character, bit Bash St or something? {I wasn't a Beano reader so I may be muddling something there.}

13. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

What is so frightening to you about being outside the EU?

14. Roger Hicks

Dear Oly,

Can't answer for DaveS but for me it's things like;

Greatly reduced freedom of movement
    Pointless petty currency controls (who else remembers being limited to £20 a head spending money on holidays?)
    Tariffs and customs dues
    Collapse of inward investment
    Loss of human rights
    Loss of workers' rights
    Xenophobia
    The sort of people who want out

Not necessarily in that order, nor yet is that an exhaustive list.

Cheers,
    R.

15. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

Pretty much sums up why he scares me, dragging us back to a little England mentality, pull the draw bridge up and roll back the clock by appealing to a lowest common denominator.

16. Trannifan

Trannifan Well-Known Member

Time to revive the headline "Fog in channel-continent cut off" ?

17. Footloose

Footloose Well-Known Member

I would have thought he was more like Mussolini, than Hitler. One way or another, maybe because of some of his views, Labour and the Conservatives will stop stalling over holding a referendum, and get on with it. I suspect a fair number of our politicians don't want one held, because in the run-up to this happening, they might have to own up to the 'deals' they have done behind closed doors with the EU over the years, without informing Joe Public.

18. Skyehammer

Skyehammer Well-Known Member

I take it you have lamp posts in England ? [​IMG]

19. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

I think it was a garage in his case, but a lamp post will do very well.

20. Sphinx

Sphinx Well-Known Member

You know the thing that really really winds me up - makes me want to tear my hair out and scream?

Its the whole myth/deliberate lies about UKIP being "little englanders" who want to "pull up the drawbridge".

The majority of those saying that and all those believing it have so obviously not taken the time to look properly at UKIPs proposals or listen to what they are actually saying it is enough to make me cry.

UKIP most definitely do not want to "pull up the drawbridge" - they want to expand it to a much wider variety of people with at the same time an entrance gate to control the numbers crossing.

The one keeping the drawbridge up is the EU itself - anyone in the castle can go to any other part of the castle even if that makes some rooms that are popular so overcrowded the original occupants feel stifled and worse. However for people wanting to come into the castle its a whole different kettle of fish with hard to overcome barriers being put in the way of everyone.

For the UK this means that an illiterate non english speaking person with a criminal record who has openly expressed the intention to remain a criminal can come straight in no questions asked because they are from another part of the EU while highly educated, highly skilled/qualified, english speaking individuals with perfect records and employers desperate to have them are denied entry because they come from outside the EU and the government wants to be "tough on immigration" so it stops the only bits of immigration it can namely those from outside the EU.

At the same time there are other trading blocs especially from Africa desperately trying to develop trade with the EU who are being refused because their products are going to be in direct competition with EU countries - countries are being kept reliant on aid when they are showing they have the potential to help themselves through trade but being kept aid dependent.

To anyone who has heard UKIP is about pulling up the drawbridge I suggest they go and do their own research and discover the reality that UKIP want to and have plans demonstrating opening trade and movement up to far more than just the EU. Start with the report "Out of the EU and into the world" http://www.ukip.org/out_of_the_eu_into_the_world_report and go from there.

What is reported in the media is so completely different from the reality it is a joke.