1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MPB photography

Discussion in 'Help Team' started by frank1, Apr 3, 2013.

1. frank1

frank1 Well-Known Member

In email discussion with MPB on selling a lens. They've offered me a reasonable dealer's quote on the assumption the lens is in Exc++ with free collection. I then asked if they found the lens was not in Exc++ and then offered a lower sum. If I refused would there be a charge for returning the lens. They have answered there would be free return carriage. All well and good but I've not yet gone ahead as I'd liked to ask you good people if you've had dealings with the company and how did you find the procedure.

2. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

I purchased a Billingham bag from them and their service was excellent and quick. The bag was as described, used in my case, but it cleaned up well and was at a really good price.

3. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

I've bought several items from them, from low cost tripod heads, to a mint Eos 1D III - all purchasing transactions have been fine.

I've also tried selling them two lenses. One was a mint condition and boxed EF 70-200 F4L, which I part exchanged for a similar condition EFs 17-55 F2.8 IS. All went OK with my lens being collected by the courier, and after a few days the value was agreed, and the transaction completed. In the other case, I emailed them a photo of my externally somewhat battered (i.e. "Excellent" in some company's sales speak!) EF 300 F/2.8L and they didn't want to know, even though optically it's fine.

Fairly recently their stock list has increased enormously, and I've wondered whether they are selling off Jessops or Jacobs stock.

4. Mr Mischief

Mr Mischief Well-Known Member

6 weeks ago I part ex some bits with them...
    And the gave me a decent price...
    All sorted in a couple of days...

Only thing is, The item I bought when it turned up was not as described on thier site...
    But I'll be honest I did think I had had a touch!!!

when they sent it and it wasn't as advertised, I contacted them...
    several emails later I kept it and had £40 refund as a good will gesture :)
    but in the past i bought a 1.4 teleconverter off them and the one sent wasn't the one on the web site....
    But the changed it the next day..
    They sorted the courier out, so no real problem...

I think at times they may use other photos of items and cut and paste descriptions, without fullly checking...

Thats the downside of the Internet, you can't handle stuff....

But getting back to your question, yes I've used them several times..
    and I'll use them again if they have what I need...

Also I found their website is easy to use...

5. frank1

frank1 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the replies I reckon I'll go ahead then.

6. thornrider

thornrider In the Stop Bath

What they have proposed is the same as Grays of Westminster do - and I have had no trouble with them. You do, however, need to be brutally honest about the condition of your lens. Exc++ means no scuffs or scratches anywhere - 95% as new. A Grays of Westminster Exc++ lens looks like brand new.

Something that has marks on it is at best exc, and maybe even VG.

7. swiftflo

swiftflo Well-Known Member

Used them a couple of times, no problems and found them very reasonable.

8. Malcolm_Stewart

I've no experience with Grays of Westninster & their grading, but some years ago I remember being very disappointed by the condition of some used Nikon lenses offered to me by Jacobs at their New Oxford Street branch. Can't remember what condition they were described as, but for me to consider them they must have been "Exc" at least, but they were stiff to focus, and scuffed.

I eventually bought truly mint examples elsewhere. When I thought about it, I decided that Jacobs had got accustomed to the well used lenses offered to them by Fleet Street and what I was offered reflected that. I've since bought used gear mainly from LCE with no problems.

9. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

Ffordes also grade carefully.

10. thornrider

I have just rechecked Grays of Westminster grading descriptions and they are even more stringent than I had thought - you have to go right down to exc before even a slight scuff is acceptable. The original poster will need his lens to be 94% to 97% as new to qualify as exc++ and have no marks on it at all. If it has the slightest scuff even it will drop two grades to exc.

Grading spec below :-

http://www.graysofwestminster.co.uk/products/grading.php

11. IvorETower

IvorETower Little Buttercup

Of course, the really interesting bit with the grading system at most dealers is that you are marked down when trading in, but the selling prices don't vary by that much for the various grades (in my experience) until you get to the tatty and really tatty grades

12. thornrider

I think you are exactly right. This OP is on the selling end of the stick though - only time will tell how it works out.

13. Malcolm_Stewart

One aspect of all this is dust in a lens.

When purchasing, one is told that it has no effect, but you try selling said lens to another dealer, or the same one a few weeks later!

14. frank1

frank1 Well-Known Member

I described the lens as in VGC. MPB quoted me a price based on the lens being in Exc++. I fear I may be offered a lower rate. There are one or two marks nothing major but I'll have to wait and see. It's being picked up tomorrow. I expect I shall know by Monday as to how they evaluate it.

15. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

Don't you mean the excellent+ and excellent grades?:rolleyes:

16. thornrider

Dead right. Dust is the first thing I check for - and fungus. The Mint grading doesn't cover the optics. I had fungus just starting and a couple of dust spots in a Mint- Nikon 28mm AIS from Grays of Westminster - but the good point of dealing with them is they didn't argue - instant refund plus paid postage both ways.

17. IvorETower

IvorETower Little Buttercup

Wow - these days that really is exceptional service

18. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

Small dust spots don't really matter, but fungus is another matter, I'm always concerned that it spreads, and perhaps not just within the item itself. A dealer would normally include any fungus in the item description, I would expect a reputable dealer like Grays to do so, their equipment is certainly priced at the very top end of the scale.

19. willie45

willie45 Well-Known Member

I really rate this company. I've dealt with them in both selling and buying and they have always been fair, efficient, honest and friendly. In fact, they are the best camera shop for second hand gear I've used. I had a slight issue with one lens; it wasn't a major one but they exchanged it without quibble.

20. Scphoto

Scphoto Well-Known Member

I used them last year for a 1D MkII purchase. Kit was in excellent condition, boxed with some items not used! I'm might trade up to a 1D MkIII later in the year so will definitely consider MBP again.