1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moth id please

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by steveandthedogs, Oct 17, 2019.

1. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

Looking in the Boys' Bumper Book of Flying Wossnames, I think this may be a Marbled Carpet.

On the other hand, it could be almost anything:

Marbled-Carpet.jpg

S

2. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

Yes, probably.

neilt3 likes this.
  3. steveandthedogs

Ta.

S

4. neilt3

neilt3 Well-Known Member

Was that a " yes it's probably a Marbled Carpet." Or " Yes , it's probably almost anything else ?" :p

All I can say it's definitely not a cabbage white butterfly ! o_O

5. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

Take your pick. :D

6. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

Moths are very interesting in a Chinese sense. We don't know how many types are in Britain. Butterflies are generally more pretty but are boring. There are only fifty odd types to identify.
    I am too old to start making a photographic collection of British moths. Also I am not sufficiently meticulous. Apparently in some cases one needs to examine their 'privates' with a microscope to tell 'um appart.
    To get you started I suggest A concise Guide to the moths of Great Britain and Ireland by Martin Townsend and Paul Waring. This book has the advantage of being illustratedby Richard Lewingington but only includes the most common few hundred macro moths.
    Field guide to the Micro moths of Great Britain and Ireland by Phil Sterling and Mark Parsons adds another thousand and thirty three smaller moths. This also is illustrated by the famous Richard Lewington.

Your moth is one of the many variations of the Common marbled carpet Chloroclysta truncata. I think. My pretentious addition of a latin name does not imply any level of expertise.

7. steveandthedogs

Collins Complete Guide to British Insects is complicated enough for me!

Nothing pretentious about using the Latin names. More descriptive than local names.

S