1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Most Influential Photographers of All Time?

Discussion in 'Web Sites of Interest' started by willking87, May 22, 2015.

1. willking87

willking87 New Member

2. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

Very Euro-centric. {I include Americans as Europeans as far as the early days of photography are concerned.} Mentioning early days, not many real pioneers in there, quite a few followers.

I would add another European or two - Michael Kenna would be one - who have had a real impact. He's spawned a host of imitators & followers as well as being outstanding for both his style and output.

Will try and re-visit with a bit more of a world view.

3. 0lybacker

The ref to wildlife photographers on the AP Home Page has reminded me that I would add Frans Lanting to this list and maybe Stephen Dalton as well.

4. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Hopelessly feeble on the 19th century.

Cheers,

R.

5. 0lybacker

Before I start deleting names, here are a couple more I would add for their all-time influence on photography from their lifetime: Victor Hasselblad (yes, he was a photographer) and Bill Jay. More Europeans & Americans I'm afraid. Hasn't any other continents produced truly influential photographers?

6. Roy5051

Roy5051 Well-Known Member

What about Sebastiao Salgado?, Surely one of the greats?

7. 0lybacker

Yes, agreed, but what's his influence, Roy? Cheers, Oly

8. Trannifan

Trannifan Well-Known Member

Where's Robert Frank, sometimes referred to as the father of street photogrphy? He is, by all accounts, a very interesting person with sometimes acerbic opinions on matters photographic.

Lynn

9. Johnski

Johnski Active Member

Glad to see Bresson there - I am a massive fan of his ability with the camera

10. 0lybacker

Funny thing, I was thinking of this Thread just yesterday.

H C-B was 'good' (up to a point) and he has been very influential. The question I have is that he was almost following in the path of other pioneers such as Erich Salomon. That may be where the influence really was. Then others, not on the list, were in my view better than Cartier-Bresson but maybe not quite so 'influential', such as Robert Doisneau. That's the problem with lists like these.

At the risk of repeating a story already told on the AP Forum, I had a great time years ago, going round a major retrospective of H C-B's work with Chris Steele-Perkins. He was very interesting and quite critical of some of his fellow Magnum member's output. :) I already knew that H C-B was none too good at exposure estimation. There is a fantastic article in a magazine somewhere (not AP) that features an interview with the man who developed H C-B's films and printed for him. Sorry, cannot remember name or publication but it will probably come to me one day!

Have been musing on who I would add or remove. I've also been hoping Roger Hicks would suggest some 19th century names that could be included. Not a period I can help on.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2015
  11. Sejanus.Aelianus

Sejanus.Aelianus In the Stop Bath

Most influential on who?

we should be told!

:D

12. 0lybacker

Other Phogs, Senator?

13. 0lybacker

Since the list was published and this Thread started, I've had a couple of encounters that convince me that Bernd & Hilla Becher should, probably, be added to the list. Their influence may well extend beyond photography to designers & architects.

Thoughts, anyone?