1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

More vandalism

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Dorset_Mike, May 19, 2019.

1. Dorset_Mike

Dorset_Mike Grumpy Old Fart

2. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

There really are some arseholes around. I can never get my head around about the point of it. Can it be that much fun?

3. TheFatControlleR

TheFatControlleR :Devil's Advocaat: Forum Admin

Individuals rarely carry out this kind of thing, in my understanding, it's almost always a 'pack' of some size.

Scphoto likes this.
  4. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

What I fail to understand is why the magistrates cannot impose a fine of the full costs of the damage plus all other resulting costs and that fine follows them around until its paid off in full. If they're still paying the fine off in ten years they'll still be learning why it's a good idea to leave other people's property alone.

dangie, RogerMac and daft_biker like this.
  5. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

I work with one of these toy train enthusiasts. Prime suspects have to be their wives (those that have wives anyway).

Zou and RogerMac like this.
  6. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

oooh that's not nice

but you could be on to something; in a similar way how many photographers have died when cameras have accidentally fallen on their heads....

7. Mark101

Mark101 Well-Known Member

I recall the same thing happened back in 1971 at my school were we had a a large and ongoing set up in an open common area by the wood and metal work classrooms. It had been an ongoing project of some 6 years when some newly departed levers entered the school during the summer holidays and trashed many years of work.

8. AGW

AGW Well-Known Member

"oooh that's not nice", understatement....but its nearly the scale of the problem.

Graeme

but you could be on to something; in a similar way how many photographers have died when cameras have accidentally fallen on their heads....[/QUOTE]

9. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

The birch was usually for juveniles. Post pubescent youths and adults got something worse. The current Singapore caning would be more appropriate.
    The risk there is that the offenders steal in order to pay the fine.
    A Singapore caning is not like an old school caning. I will not go into bloodthirsty details. If you want to know then the information is easy to find.

10. Andrew Flannigan

The "do nothing to upset the little darlings" response to crime, eh?

11. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

The report says "four youths" so whatever the fine, and let's hope it's a big one, parents should be made to pay.

Courts should have permission to access bank accounts and if there is sufficient funds then take direct payment, else set up a direct debit so one way or the other the parents pay.

12. Andrew Flannigan

That might make the problem worse because it's possible the parents just don't have control. Also there are one parent families where the father has run out on his responsibilities. Worse still he may have fathered children on other women which he'll use as an excuse to refuse responsibility for the first family.

13. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

Make them attend every train enthusiast event going.

Zou and dream_police like this.
  14. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

Outlawed as barbaric and inhumane, I'll think you'll find.

15. Roger_Provins

Roger_Provins Well-Known Member

"A crowdfunding page to raise money for a model railway exhibition completely trashed by vandals has gained more than £40,000 in donations."
    Metro

daft_biker likes this.
  16. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

I'm prepared to make an exception;)

17. Pete Bony

Pete Bony Well-Known Member

This is unbelievable. I have always said that even though I can not and will not condone it I can understand it when some scroats break in to a property and steal something for the monetary returns on the stolen item(s) but to trash something just for the sake of it leaves me struggling to understand why they do it and what they can possibly get out of it.

18. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

No. I did suggest the type of treatment administered in Singapore for offences including vandalism. The corporal part of the punishment is always a component of a prison sentence. The system was introduced by the Brits in the colonial era, and has been enhanced in severity since we left.

19. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

A period of community service equal in manhours to those originally spent building tbe broken layouts/engines/ancillary equipment should bring the lesson home.

Andrew Flannigan likes this.
  20. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

One of my friends described community service as the best day of his week, although I suspect it would get old after a few thousand hours!