1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

More 'PC' gone mad......

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by dangie, Aug 22, 2017.

1. P_Stoddart

P_Stoddart Well-Known Member

Sadly that is the position, Japan was free of all weapons until 1954 then formed the defense force. They did sign up to not settle dispute with war.

It was the same of Germany in 1954. Cold war brought all this about. Then 1990 and east and west brought together.

In both cases their military is seen as defensive and peacekeeping :) (cross fingers on that :p )

Serious though they are taught exactly that, violence is a last resort, they are told to think of themselves as "citizens in uniform"

Remember they are not a NAZI army. The people of Germany are very aware of 20th century history and actually look at their military very carefully indeed.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2017
    PhotoEcosse likes this.
  2. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

No argument over this bit, though in all fairness Germany and Japan did get a "free ride" courtesy of the American military-industrial complex, the risks of which were eloquently pointed out by that well-known revolutionary lefty, President Eisenhower.

Cheers,

R.

3. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

Even Trump is not always wrong. What are the percentages of GDPof America,Britain and Germany used to fund Nato? What are the absolute amounts?
    Perhaps you would like to scrap Nato and rely on some EU organisation?

4. Trannifan

Trannifan Well-Known Member

We may have no choice in the matter.......................................

Lynn

PhotoEcosse likes this.
  5. Roger Hicks

Or perhaps you would care to answer my previous question, with especial reference to the military-industrial complex.

Cheers,

R.

PhotoEcosse likes this.
  6. MickLL

MickLL Well-Known Member

Simplicity. My example was easy to explain and understand.

If I had used the 'promotion' example it's much more complex and the naysayers would (correctly) ask , "in whose opinion". Then we get into an area that I really didn't want to discuss - especially on an open forum.

MickLL

7. Learning

No one has given a bold example of PC gone mad. I am not brave. So
    I go no further than whisper Rochdale.
    I wasn't the first.

SqueamishOssifrage likes this.
  8. Learning

Why not challenge my post. Are you bothered that I might treat it metaphorically with answers from solid sources?

9. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

And we have put great pressure on them to take part in quite aggressive coalitions, against their will.

10. Roger Hicks

Eh?

I'm rarely bothered about the risk of your giving answers to anything.

How on earth do you give metaphorical answers with solid sources?

I DID challenge your post. Why are you unable to answer?

Cheers,

R.

11. Learning

To me extreme right wing would be BNP or NF. I am certainly neither.
    Try reading Douglas Murray, The Strange death of Europe. If I wasn't so lazy, I could have written something like that, maybe not quite so eloquent, but certainly in the same way of thinking.
    Liberals have a problem, their own liberality is leading to their destruction. If you want to survive, (and I hope that you will) then some liberal values will have to be conditional. Democracy and freedom of religeon or none are fragile.There are forces using democracy and freedom of religeon to destroy those same properties of a western democracy. Wake up.

12. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

Democracy seems to survive no matter how much people exagerate the reports of its death. Sometimes it gets driven underground but it always seems to pop its head up like a sunflower on a bombed out site.

13. Learning

There is not much hope for democracy or religous freedom in most of the Islamic world. I think that you are being optimistic. Who cares. Most of us will be dead before the balloon goes up. However I would prefer a better solution. I hate to think of another holocaust in Europe but our PC political leaders seem to be leading us to such a horrible calamity.

14. SqueamishOssifrage

SqueamishOssifrage Well-Known Member

15. John Farrell

John Farrell Well-Known Member

Or you could be wrong.

16. Fishboy

Fishboy Well-Known Member

Rochdale eh? I might have a bit on an insight into that one.

When I moved to Rochdale in 1989 I was surprised to see that nobody…absolutely nobody…would let their children anywhere near Cyril Smith. The majority of residents regarded him negatively with their opinion of him ranging from slight contempt through to complete disgust. The Rochdale Alternative Press had printed a story about his abuse of young boys in 1979 – prompting the then leader of the Liberal Party, David Steel, to comment “all he seems to have done is spanked a few bare bottoms”. It took thirty six years for an investigation into Cyril Smith to take place and even though a catalogue of abuse has come to light there have been no (that’s a grand total of zero) prosecutions regarding the cover-up of his activities.

The more recent Rochdale grooming story hasn’t come as a great surprise. Groups of predominantly Asian men have been grooming young girls for sex. Terrible! How could such a thing happen?

Wait…that’s a good question…how could such a thing happen?

Pause for a moment and think about any thirteen, fourteen or fifteen year old girls that you might know personally – friends, relatives, girls who live in your own town or village. How many of them, in your opinion, would be likely to have sex with a fifty year old Asian man in exchange for drugs or alcohol? I bet the answer is “not many” or possibly “none”.

So, how’s Rochdale different?

First, I think, you have to consider the victims in this. I’ve asked you about teenage girls that you know personally, so now I’ve got to ask you to imagine the sort of life that would lead a young girl into considering receiving drugs in exchange for having sex with a group of men.

How could there be so many young girls who are vulnerable to this sort of influence in one small town like Rochdale?

Children’s homes. Rochdale has more children’s homes than London, than Manchester, than Liverpool. The 14 boroughs of inner London has a total of 28 children’s homes – Rochdale has 43. If you combine this with the fact that Rochdale is one of the most deprived areas of the country then you start to get the idea of how this could happen.

What took place was despicable and the actions of the men involved are indefensible, however there’s often more to a story than you see in the news.

Should Rochdale Council be held to account for taking in a disproportionally-high number of vulnerable children and asking a Social Services department that was already stretched to its limits to take responsibility for their wellbeing? Should the police who completely disregarded the initial reports coming from the girls involved be held to account?

The men involved have been tried and convicted, but no further action has been taken elsewhere in the borough – principally on the advice of the Manchester Police and Crime Commissioner who decided that there was no case to answer...

Cheers, Jeff

PS - In 2017 the Labour Party decided that the suspended Rochdale MP, Simon Danczuk, would not be put forward as a candidate in the general election, deciding instead to put forward Tony Lloyd. Mr Lloyd was subsequently voted in as Rochdale’s member of parliament. Mr Lloyd was previously the Manchester Police and Crime Commissioner from November 2012 to May 2017. Can anybody say “cover up”?

17. Trannifan

Trannifan Well-Known Member

If Rotherham was anything to go by you need to include local politicians, council officials and the like who followed the three wise apes and then moved on to well-paid jobs elsewhere without stains on their copybooks.................

Lynn

18. Footloose

Footloose Well-Known Member

Thinking of the likes of Rochdale, there was a case of a Social worker in a senior position in Scotland or that neck of the woods who was convinced the department she worked in that a village or area was riddled with Witches and Covens and had a lot of children taken into care to protect them?

19. Fishboy

Fishboy Well-Known Member

I hate to say this, but in 1990 twenty children were removed from their homes in Rochdale after Rochdale social services decided that they were victims of 'satanic abuse'. Subsequent investigations revealed that the allegations had been made in error and that the children shouldn't have ben removed from their homes.

We've really got it all here in Rochdale!

Cheers, Jeff

Roger Hicks likes this.
  20. willie45

willie45 Well-Known Member

I believe the neck of the woods was Orkney.