1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

More 'PC' gone mad......

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by dangie, Aug 22, 2017.

1. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Only partly. It is very much a matter of saying I'm holier than thou. There is a whole class of individuals vying to outdo eachother in that respect.

2. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

So: one nutter persuades some other weak-willed people.

Gosh. Never seen that before.

"PC"? No. very stupid, hidebound people.

Happens in both religion and politics.

Cheers,

R.

3. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

Somehow I don't think I'll be taking that image to bed with me tonight.
    Really..... get a life.....

4. willie45

willie45 Well-Known Member

I disagree with you, Andrew. The phrase "PC gone mad" is actually, as Peter points out, a way of people denigrating attempts at addressing inequalities in society. It's the sort of thing you read in the Daily Mail etc and I suspect a lot and those who whine about "PC gone mad" very often have their own agenda. On the occasions when silly decisions are made, almost never is the "culprit" of the alleged "pc madness" actually someone intent on being PC but is usually someone protecting what they see as their career interests. However, my enthusiasm for arguing the point on here is not very high.

5. P_Stoddart

P_Stoddart Well-Known Member

You notice it is the bosses complaining?

Have they bother to actually ask the opinion of the nursing staff if they are offended by the fund raising method?

Has any nursing staff lodge a formal complaint?

No in fact one of the nurses Gemma Davies said: "I'm a nurse and am not at all insulted. How stupid!"

As usual the managing team are NOT listening to the staff.

By turn down the funds Ms Ditheridge & Mike Ridley are actually putting lives at risk.

should be sack for that.

Their first duty is to secure as much legal funding for the trust as possible.

I would not blame the local users of the hospital to push for both their removal from the trust board.

Finally if the general public was offended then they would hardly put their money in the collection jugs would they?

It would raise £0.

I agree with point that is was ok at the Olympics for nurses (I believe some were real nurses) to jump around in silly dance in a sports stadium sponsored by large companies on BBC TV.

6. peterba

peterba Well-Known Member

Quite! That's really what I was saying, but you put it far more succinctly than I did.

willie45 and Roger Hicks like this.
  7. Fishboy

Fishboy Well-Known Member

Imagine that it's 1975 and the bosses of the West African Centre have just refused a donation from a group of blokes who went collecting on the streets of Manchester whilst blacked-up and dressed as stereotypical Rastafarians...

Now...

Cut to the year 2057...

A family is sitting around a table eating breakfast - the table doesn't have legs...it's just floating there. The chairs don't have legs either because they all work on anti-gravity. This is the future!

Dad spoons Astroflakes into his mouth, using a spoon of such a futuristic design that a description would leave you reeling (so I'd best not describe it) and Junior asks him a question:

"Dad, we were looking at a story in history class about men dressing up as female nurses to raise money. Didn't they realise that this was insensitive gender and role appropriation?"

Dad chews on his Astroflakes for a moment, using teeth of a futuristic design.

"Well son, you've got to look at things like that in the context of the times - while we wouldn't dream of doing something like that, it wasn't offensive at all to most of the people back then. What're you doing at school today?"

"Thanks for reminding me, pop! I've got to take my rubber Flrrgg'll head into school with me on the Transmat today - we're doing a play about the first contact between humans and Flrrgg'll!"

Cut to the year 2097...

A thought appears in the paternal figure's mind, transmitted from one of his offspring units. There's also pearly-coloured light and misty stuff floating about.

"Hey dad, we learned in history that people used to dress up as Flrrgg'll...we were asked to imagine how that made the Flrrgg'll feel at the time and transmit our feelings to the class..."

...and so on.

Cheers, Jeff

8. MickLL

MickLL Well-Known Member

There is such a thing as "PC gone mad" - or being OTT in my opinion.

An example. Long time members will know that I served (voluntarily) in education for a long time.

I am male so I became "Chairman". My predecessor and successor were both female and were "Chairwomen".

All three of us would have been OK with being known by the gender specific title or indeed as "Chairperson" (although we all found that rather ugly).

What we were actually known as was "Chair" and we all disliked that. However it was the common usage throughout the sector and we had to put up with it.

My point? IMHO the use of a gender specific title is neither demeaning nor insulting nor unequal and we (that is everyone I know who held the position) felt that way.

MickLL

PS One of the things I do object to is one of the online dictionaries (Mirriam-Webster ????) defining Chairwoman as " a woman who serves as a chairman".

9. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

This will quickly become boring but here's where I'm coming from...

RovingMike likes this.
  10. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

11. LesleySM

LesleySM Well-Known Member

On par with Dave and me walking along years ago with a friend of ours who happens to be Italian and I said "Leno, you spaghetti eater!" (It was a nickname) and some very self important woman in front of us turned round and said that remark was racist and offensive to Italians- only to have Leno say in a thick Italian accent (put on) "Is okay I is-a spaghetti eater and also I is-a greasy wop"

Andrew Flannigan likes this.
  12. Andrew Flannigan

:D

I'm not going to quote some of the things friends and colleagues have said about themselves and others in their "ethnic groups". ;)

13. willie45

TBH, Mick, if that's as mad as it gets .........

14. MickLL

MickLL Well-Known Member

No Willie it's not as mad as it gets - it was a simple and easily explained example of how PC can be OTT.

I could have gone on (from personal experience) up to and including someone getting promoted above better candidates. About me being attacked because I had the temerity to suggest that a local football team was unusual because it had no black players ....... and so on.

No Chair is not as far as it goes.

MickLL

15. willie45

Its probably not the best example to use in support of your argument then. Why not use a stronger one? I mean you don't need to, I'm just curious

16. P_Stoddart

P_Stoddart Well-Known Member

I think a more real question by the young in 2057 would be "Dad why did they have to have charity at all 2017, didn't everyone care for every one esle then?, why didn't they spend money on the needed technology to save life instead of weapons to take life?"

In the correct world their should be no need for funds raising at all. No need for charity of every public.

These guys are doing this BECAUSE money is spent on DEATH in instead of life.

It is time for the UK to be brave and bold and put away the weapons of war and focus on making life available and better for all.

Look how Japan rebuilt without a weapons after WWII and Germany too.

I wonder if the trust would have turned it down had it been £25,000 or £250,000?

This is not a advanced civilization on planet earth. Because there is still war and killing by nation. What is defined as legal murder.

Of course we don't if it truly possible to have a planet without war or conflict.

I am not sure if it has got better. Certainly if people always get offended by the slightest things then there will be conflict.

I am not a follower of a religion but it is interesting how many so call christians don't follow their own writings

Jesus said turn the other cheek. It been interpreted quite clear to mean non-retaliation to affronts against our own dignity.

Now in this situation as I have said physical harm could happen in that the money could save lives. So giving up abit of dignity is a charity act itself. Given what it takes to be a nurse or a doctor it not surprise they feel ok with this event.

So suffer being offended it is in a good cause. :) Or built a better society so they don't need to have fund raising at all. :)

Jesus suffered racism, abuse etc according to the bible but he allowed it to wash over him.

17. Andrew Flannigan

Military budget Japan 2015 = $42 billion. Military budget Germany 2015 = €37 billion. All no doubt spent on teaching their troops to point out very firmly that violence is no way to settle disputes. :cool:

18. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

Germany is not pulling its weight in Nato.

19. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Would you care to define "pulling its weight in Nato"?

Cheers,

R.

20. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

I'm astonished that anyone thinks that parroting Trump might possibly not be a terrible idea for their credibility....

peterba and Roger Hicks like this.