1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

More 'PC' gone mad......

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by dangie, Aug 22, 2017.

1. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

2. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

Just listened to this in the car. My thoughts about Ludlow Trust were unprintable.

S

ps and I say that as a retired nurse.

3. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

Some people have no sense of humour.

4. Craig20264

Craig20264 Well-Known Member

Words fail me sometimes!

5. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

Three other hospitals say they would be happy to accept the cash.

Roger Hicks likes this.
  6. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

We apparently have freedom of speech!

What people don't seem to realise is that we don't have freedom from being offended.

Unfortunately if you have freedom of speech you will find that some people are offended. Sorry but if you are offended when I exercise freedom of speech you had better get used to the idea, it isn't deliberate.

7. AGW

AGW Well-Known Member

Was there not a major section of the London Olympic opening that involved nurses and doctors, dressed as comedy nurses and doctors, pushing beds around for public entertainment?

And the nation was proud.

Graeme

8. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

I can add nothing printable to what's been said above :(

9. willie45

willie45 Well-Known Member

I'd just say that this is nothing to do with Political Correctness. It's to do with one or more eejits making a silly decision based on something or other in their own minds.

Political Correctness is usually a good thing.

This
    is to do with political correctness:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-india-41008802

And is a good thing IMHO though I expect there are some men in that country going on about Political Correctness gone mad.

beatnik69, peterba, taxor and 3 others like this.
  10. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

I don't care what has been wriiten here or on the quoted link. Its a none issue. Forget it.

11. Trannifan

Trannifan Well-Known Member

It's summer, nothing vaguely newsworthy is happening...................................................

Lynn

12. peterba

peterba Well-Known Member

I agree. Political Correctness has helped us move (substantially, at least) away from the use of offensive terms for various minority groups. This kind of thing hasn't entirely disappeared, of course, but it is much less acceptable nowadays - and a good thing too. I, for one, am very pleased that we have managed to establish a fair degree of Political Correctness.

There's no such thing as Political Correctness "gone mad". There is, however, just plain "mad", and unfortunately some would seek to link madness with Political Correctness, because they would like to damage the progress that we've made.

willie45 likes this.
  13. Andrew Flannigan

I don't agree with you. Political correctness is just another way of trying to gain status by imposing your will on others. You certainly shouldn't be allowed to bully someone by insulting their race or gender but the political correctioners will stop you (if they can) from criticising another person's sense of humour even where it causes no harm and may even do good as in the case we're discussing.

14. SqueamishOssifrage

SqueamishOssifrage Well-Known Member

Well, this is bloody unusual, but I actually agree with you.

15. PhotoEcosse

PhotoEcosse Well-Known Member

16. SqueamishOssifrage

I wonder what they would make of this:-

A few weeks ago I visited a very black, very well educated, very well spoken (Queen's English) friend to watch the British Grand Prix, as he had the necessary subscription to do so. After the race and Hamilton's decisive win, he turned to me and said in the broadest possible Jamaican accent:-

"Damn but dat niggah boi sho can drive".

Pick the bones out of that, PCers!

Trannifan likes this.
  17. peterba

peterba Well-Known Member

Oh, well - we'll have to agree to disagree. For me, there's nothing in Political Correctness about gaining status - there's simply an abhorrence of the disparagement of minorities, by the use of unpleasant terms.
    To be honest, I really can't see how you perceive that Political Correctness has anything to do with "gaining status" (genuine comment, BTW... not intended to be argumentative:)).

18. SqueamishOssifrage

19. Andrew Flannigan

The term was coined to describe the practice of inventing claims of harm where there were none. If you are attempting to prevent a genuine harm you are not being "politically correct".

20. Footloose

Footloose Well-Known Member

Political correctness and accusations of racial discrimination, have been employed on a number of occasions NOT as they were intended to be used. As for those hospital bosses, I can only assume it's because they think something like this is going besmirch their personal credibility or status in the social circles they frequent, rather than it possibly mocking the staff and the hospital which would have been gaining financially from this event. My guess is, they would ban staff getting involved in Red Nose Day as well if they could get away with it.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2017