1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

More or a less a newbie

Discussion in 'Beginner's Corner' started by Fredrick, Jul 12, 2019.

1. Fredrick

Fredrick New Member

Not had a lot of experience other that a Canon Point & Shoot in photography which was a few years back,anyway I am about to start again,my problem at the moment is choosing a starter camera again which is not an easy experience.
    I have looked at both of these

Canon eos 200D
    Nikon D3500

2. Fredrick

Fredrick New Member

Should be the Canon EOD 200D

3. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

The problem is that your first camera may well not be the right camera. For this reason I always suggest buying secondhand and buying something cheap.

Whatever you buy don't even consider adding to it (let alone changing it) until you've taken at least a thousand images with it. After all, it costs virtually nothing for each picture and nothing teaches you better than actually taking pictures and looking at them.

Another thing is to look at pictures of the things that interest you and when you find images you really like see if you can go out and use those pictures as a basis for your own. Never be afraid of copying others - it's the best way to learn. Moreover, I guarantee your pictures will be quite different from the originals and you'll learn a very great deal from that.

RogerMac and Learning like this.
  4. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Hi, is that last post a decision or a question? Most of choosing a new camera is about how well it feels in your hand as basically you'll use it more if you enjoy using it.

I chose Canon years ago, now I use Canon and, for something lighter, Fuji.

Fredrick likes this.
  5. Fredrick

Fredrick New Member

Thank you both so much for your inputs,i do appreciate it,I am using A tablet and I cannot get it to print Canon EOD 2000D I will see how it goes now

6. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

I am with the Canon suggestions above.

7. Chester AP

Chester AP Well-Known Member

Andrew's advice about buying secondhand and not spending any more money until you've learned how to use it is perfect. Also, if it turns out to be the wrong kind of camera for you (too big for your pocket, its controls too small for your hands, etc,), any loss when you sell it or part exchange it later will be much less than what you would lose if you had purchased something new.

One additional bit of advice: if you by secondhand, you do NOT have to buy the camera body with its standard 18-55 mm lens. You could buy the body and lens separately so that you have more choice about the lens. You haven't said anything about your budget, but a mint condition used Canon or Nikon body and a mint condition used Sigma 17-70 mm lens will be more flexible because the lens has larger maximum aperture sizes (they vary as you zoom) than the 18-55 kit lenses do, so will help you take shots in less bright settings.
    Also but a few pounds for a flexible 'collapsible' rubber lens hood - the 'petal' ones supplied with many zooms are useless at the longer end of the zoom. And the rubber is great for protecting the lens from knocks.

Have fun.

Learning likes this.
  8. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

The future is mirrorless, but the future by definition is in the future.
    Do you expect to be a general photographer, or maybe a fine art Landscape artist, or maybe a sports photographer. Will your active children be your main subject?
    I use a couple of very desirable DSLRs. I have no incentive to change, but if I had neither then I would find it difficult to choose between Nikon Z6 and Nikon d850, and Nikon D500.

9. Chester AP

'Do you expect to be a general photographer, or maybe a fine art Landscape artist, or maybe a sports photographer. Will your active children be your main subject?'

Hence the advice to buy a good 'all rounder' interchange lens camera to learn with, and at the same time perhaps find out what subjects you want to photograph. Only once that is known should any further spending be considered - for example, if the user likes the camera body, the suggestion would be to look at a secondhand lens that would help with that kind of subject. I offered some advice about a better 'first lens' instead of the 18-55 kit lens, and a cheap rubber lens hood, but that was all.

At this stage, firm advice about what to buy is difficult without a budget, but Fredrick is sensible to suggest older model 'entry level' DSLRs from the major manufacturers. If he lives with travelling distance of any of the major retailers who advertise in AP, going to the shop and looking at secondhand stuff (and handling it too) would be a very good place to start.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2019
  10. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Whilst it is difficult to disagree that the future is mirrorless it is equally difficult to argue that the majority of interchangeable lens cameras sold will, for a period of many years, be SLRs simply because such a large proportion of the total sales is in used cameras. Anyone starting out with a limited budget is likely to find an SLR more affordable than an equivalent mirrorless. That will change as more new models and lenses are introduced.

Back to the original question, unless Frederick has a particular reason for not doing so, it would seem reasonable to try not just Canon and Nikon SLRs but also Panasonic, Olympus and Sony mirrorless cameras. Whatever one thinks of them it has been true since the beginning that mirrorless cameras, especially those with larger sensors, are capable of image quality every bit as good as that from any other style.

11. Chester AP

Perhaps the best advice is to fix the budget, and look for the 'best' interchangeable lens camera body, and suitable lens to use with it, that can be purchased secondhand within that budget. It may be a DSLR (probably more choice at reasonable prices) or a mirrorless: as long as it has all the controls to allow user adjustments for experimenting and learning. It is unlikely that Fredrick will be disappointed with the results from any APS-C DSLR or mirrorless body made within the last few years, especially if purchased secondhand at a reasonable price.

A few moments on the London Camera Exchange shows that you can get a good condition Nikon or Canon 10 megapixel DSLR and its 18-55 kit lens for under £100. Probably perfect for learning with, and the 10 megapixel sensor will be capable of creating images that can be printed to 40 x 60 cm if used with a decent lens (I have some prints this size produced from a DSLR with a sensor this size).
    I even found a Canon 1100D (12 megapixel sensor) and its 18-55 lens for £100 - possibly the perfect 'first DSLR' for a beginner.

And this - an older model 10 megapixel 'entry level' Canon DSLR that looks fantastic value for £100, especially when you see what lens it comes with (far more flexible than the 18-55 kit lens). And LCE offer a warranty on their used stuff.
    Condition: **** (Good condition)

www.lcegroup.co.uk/Used/Canon-EOS400D-+-Sigma-DC18-125mm-Travel-Zoom_250248.html

My advice about the cheap collapsible rubber lens hood still applies - when it was attached to a DSLR body, my Tamron 18-250 survived bouncing on the rubber hood when the body and lens fell about 18 inches onto a marble floor.

12. Michael Smith

Michael Smith Member

I too recommend the EOS 200D. It is an excellent entry level DSLR with great specs and an excellent price.

13. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

I have a problem with that, lens hoods are designed by lens manufacturers to optimise shading across the zoom range. More accurately, to not cause vignetting at the widest zoom setting. Collapsible lens hoods rarely come from lens manufacturers and, being general purpose devices, will rarely be as good as the one designed for a specific lens, the most likely problem being said vignetting at the wide end. The only rubber lens hoods I have come across were for 50mm lenses on a 24 x 36 sensor, but that doesn’t mean others aren’t available. I would always advise using the lens hood that came with the lens, fitted the right way round.

14. Andrew Flannigan

My experience is that many recent lens designs are very resistant to flare hence the use of a hood is generally optional.

15. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

I think that the current received wisdom is that you use them instead of a UV filter to protect the lens aginst damage.

16. Andrew Flannigan

Yes.

17. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Unfortunately it is the case that, even with the best designed lens, a correctly designed and fitted lens hood will always make a difference.

18. Andrew Flannigan

I won't argue with you but will point out that a difference which is unnoticed by most users is in effect no difference.

19. Chester AP

I've lost count of the number of people I've seen shooting with the sun at one side and shining onto the front element of their lens, and the 'petal' lens hood is in its reversed (storage) position on the front of the lens. One man saw my large folding rubber lens hood which I was carefully adjusting to get the best shade for my lens, and asked me what I was doing. I asked him about the lens hood on his zoom lens, and he admitted that he hadn't even realised it could be detached and fitted correctly. Being a 'petal' lens hood it would be pretty useless and anything beyond the short end of the zoom, but I explained why a lens hood was useful. He then told me that many of his shots, in lighting conditions like the current ones, often needed the contrast 'upped' later...

A cheap rubber lens hood is perhaps the most important, and inexpensive accessory, a photographer can buy.