1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

More on Club Judges

Discussion in 'Talking Pictures' started by MickLL, Dec 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sejanus.Aelianus

Sejanus.Aelianus In the Stop Bath

I do.

You don't need a licence or to pass a test to be a photographer, you just need to take photographs. Hey, you don't even need a tripod, though it may make your pictures sharper...

[​IMG]

2. Digital Dave

Digital Dave Well-Known Member

:cool::D:D

Dave

3. Digital Dave

4. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

would a fair summary of "photoshoppery" be "a means to enhance an image into a presentable state reflecting what the "artist's" vision of the said image would have been at the time of "capture"" or do you have something different in mind?

5. PhotoEcosse

PhotoEcosse Well-Known Member

...and, of course, you are perfectly entitled to do.

But it does make your use of the term pretty irrelevant to the current discussion.

6. art

art Well-Known Member

Even if that's true, does it really matter?

In short, does the method of production matter in terms of the final image?

Sure, it can be fun and challenging to limit oneself to certain technologies or techniques, which is fine, but when it comes to the final image does it really matter. Indeed, for many images, would it even be possible to determine the techniques and technologies involved?

After all, we like 'photography' for the end results don't we?

7. Paul M

Paul M Well-Known Member

Assuming your definition of keen amateur photographer means someone who uses a SLR then UK sales of SLR's in 2013 were around 400,000, so even if every one of your 50,000 club members bought a new camera in 2013 they would still only make up just over 12% of the total keen amateur photographers in that one year.

8. MickLL

MickLL Well-Known Member

Ah Eric - a question that I can answer! Forgive me but what follows is necessarily a bit pedantic.

Some definitions:

"us" - I mean those of the forum members (specifically this forum) who post in the appraisal gallery or the exhibition lounge.

My sample consists of an avid examination, some might say religious examination, of both of those galleries over the last ten years.

During that time I have seen no examples (sorry - more pedantry - I don't remember seeing) of the type of work that I think that we are talking about. A 100% fail (or pass depending how you look at it) is pretty convincing according to any statistical test I know especially when the sample size is so large.

Then I used the word 'most' just in case any one of us is producing such work in the privacy of his/her home and not posting it.

Finally, and this is where my whole argument might fall, I need to define what I think we are talking about. Please go to Google and type in 'surreal photography' then click 'images'. You will get a large selection of the type I mean and mentioned - flying Spanish Galleons for example. If we are not talking about that sort of work then please ignore everything I've typed. ;)

I hope you think that I've justified my choice of words.

Please mark my answer out of ten. ;);)

Best wishes
    MIckLL

9. Digital Dave

10 :)

Dave

10. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

Photo montages have been an accepted part of photography since the dawn of the craft, and photoshop is just an extension of his - if it's good I like it but usually I don't. Normally I prefer the minimum PS but I make no apology for using a montage occasionally. In this one I blended an old camera with an actual image taken with it in 1884. Some of you may have seen it before.

[​IMG]

11. Digital Dave

Freedom of choice is something to be embraced Roger, and its in own right, a montage or heavily manipulated image, can be admired for the creativity and manipulation skills of the creator.

Although I am no longer a member of a club, so have no involvement with competitions, I think that for photography competition purposes, they should be in category of their own.

A point that was actually made by a long established photography judge, at the club to which I once belonged.

BTW, I would hazard a guess, that neither the camera, or the photograph that you blended in, are of you own making?

Dave

Last edited: Jan 7, 2015
  12. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

No I was not around then - the young man in the picture is 7 years old and my Grandfather. The picture was taken by his mother, although I did copy and de-spot the image before enlarging it slightly

13. Digital Dave

Me neither Roger ;)

BTW, I like the picture. :)

Dave

14. Trannifan

Trannifan Well-Known Member

http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk/photo-gallery/showgallery.php?cat=838
    (Bottled Light & Abstracts and impressions)

How much post-production, apart from cropping, do you think has been applied to the photos in these two galleries, and are they digital or analogue?

Lynn

15. MickLL

MickLL Well-Known Member

Don't know - but they are nothing like the genre that I meant. Please follow the 'Google Instructions' in my previous post if you want to understand what I was referring to.,

MickLL

16. Paul M

Paul M Well-Known Member

Mick,

Would the image on page 26 of AP 10/1 be a good example of what you are talking about?

17. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

I would say that was a good one.
    The Salons raved over the flying boats, but that was a step too far even for me.

Here's one of my (how was it put again - snooze-fest? ones) and early manipulation of a few shots taken locally.
    [​IMG]
    https://flic.kr/p/mZhqt8Time to go Home https://flic.kr/p/mZhqt8 by The tamed shrew https://www.flickr.com/people/7249741@N02/, on Flickr[/IMG]
    Time to go home...

Kate

18. MickLL

MickLL Well-Known Member

I'm ashamed to admit that I don't take AP so I don't know.

I hesitate to link to an example because someone is bound to carp about my choice. If I could find the 'galleon' one I'd link to that. I think that Kate did link to it during a similar discussion some time ago. I don't know if she still has the link.

Meanwhile I suggest that you 'do' my Google suggestion and you will see many varieties - some just a tad weird and some OTT weird (IMHO).

MickLL

19. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

20. TimHeath

TimHeath Well-Known Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.