1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

More Odonata

Discussion in 'Appraisal Gallery' started by MickLL, Jun 14, 2018.

1. MickLL

MickLL Well-Known Member

A couple from this weeks trip. The first is for my revised series on ovipositing. This species tends to lay eggs far from the bank in messy vegetation so it's hard to get an acceptable picture. This is a heavy crop. For reasons I won't go into I had the camera settings wrong and so I've had to adjust levels quite a lot and that has made the b/g go quite dark. It's pretty good for my NH talks but not so good at the camera club. Your observations welcome.

[​IMG]

The second is a pretty bog standard shot of a 4 spotted chaser. Believe it or not I've seen such shots accepted in salons before now. The reason I'm showing it is that this species is more or less translucent and the polygonal shapes you see (best level with the hind wings) are actually internal structures and not surface features. I don't usually get them this clear. Again nay observations welcome.

[​IMG]

MickLL

MJB likes this.
  2. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

First is very interesting, but focal plane seems to just miss the heads? Tough to get, I wouldn't even try.

3. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

Can you give any more details on the first one, Mick? Last weekend SWMBO and I were checking out the pollywogs in someone's tiny pond on the allotments when we realised there were a pair of (damsel?) flies doing exactly this - and of course no camera to hand! Is it a species or a group behaviour?

Adrian

4. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

Checking out the what?

S

5. Dorset_Mike

Dorset_Mike Grumpy Old Fart

steveandthedogs likes this.
  6. MickLL

MickLL Well-Known Member

The top picture (damsels) is the egg laying process (ovipositing). As far as I know all British damsels oviposit in more or less the same way so my picture is pretty typical. There are differences between species. As I said the one in the picture (a white legged I think) likes to be quite far from the bank and in pretty messy vegetation. Other damsel species choose different habitat and slightly different methods - but only slightly different. In some species the male (the vertical, top, one in my picture) shoves the female right under the water. Typically the pair remain joined (in tandem is the term usually used) until both mating and ovipositing is finished, That's because, given the chance another male will try to mate and brush out the sperm of the first male. So the first male pretty well always stays attached so that he can be sure that it's his genes that are passed on.

However Dragonflies are much more variable. They mate in the same way (the wheel position) but oviposit differently. Often they detach and the female goes off alone. Some perch on vegetation , dip their rear end into the water, and lay. Some fly up and down like a yoyo laying on each 'downbeat' (see my earlier post) and some do it just like the damsels.

Hope this helps.

MickLL