1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

More Brexit good news

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Roger Hicks, Nov 1, 2017.

1. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

2. proseak

proseak Well-Known Member

Here's another url - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-42249854

"And when David Davis told them they didn't exist, they were quick to highlight some similar-sounding studies he had referred to in the past:
    • October 2016, asked what assessment the government had made of the impact of Brexit on the economy: "We currently have in place an assessment of 51 sectors of the economy. We are looking at those one by one, but the aim at the end is that this will inform the negotiating approach so that no one gets hurt."
    • December 2016, to the Brexit Committee: "We are in the midst of carrying out about 57 sets of analyses, each of which has implications for individual parts of 85% of the economy… everything except sectors that are not affected by international trade."
    • February 2017, in a statement to MPs: "We continue to analyse the impact of our exit across the breadth of the UK economy, covering more than 50 sectors - I think it was 58 at the last count - to shape our negotiating position."
    • June 2017, on the Andrew Marr Show:"That data's being gathered, we've got 50, nearly 60 sector analyses already done, we've got planning work going on in the customs, we've got planning work going on 22 other issues which are critical, 127 all told."
    Downing Street told journalists: "We have been clear that the impact assessments don't exist."

3. Trannifan

Trannifan Well-Known Member

Truth is stranger than fiction..........or are we talking 'fake news' here?

Apparently TM has come to some agreement with the EU..............

Lynn

peterba and Roger Hicks like this.
  4. Andrew Flannigan

It appears we're moving out of the EU house into the room above the (attached) garage. :cool:

5. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Dear Andrew,

Ah... The one with the moat around it?

My own reading of this is that Barier, etc., are just giving the brexit brigade more rope with which to hang themselves. Brexit is dead in the water; the EU has to agree to whatever the EU suggests; and essentially, this is going to come down to free movement...

To the more slack-jawed and swivel-eyed hard brexiters: you've lost. Get over it.

Cheers,

R.

peterba and proseak like this.
  6. Roger Hicks

The classic example of the South Sea Bubble was, "An undertaking of great advantage, but no-one to know what it is". At least that one attracted only £2000 in capital instead of £1,000,000,000+.

Is this readily distinguishable from the "agreement" on the present Irish Question?

Every day, I am more and more confident that Brexit will be overturned.

Cheers,

R.

7. peterba

peterba Well-Known Member

This must have been a typo - I think you probably meant "f**ked news"... ;)

8. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

I wish I shared your optimism Roger, really I do but I fear we're being railroaded out by a cabal of self-serving scoundrels.

Even if, buy a miracle we manage to stay in, our standing will have been trashed for a very long time.

RogerMac, Trannifan, proseak and 4 others like this.
  9. Roger Hicks

Dear Dave,

I didn't say that my confidence started from a very high point.

Perhaps I should say, "Every day I see more and more evidence that Brexit will happen only if the terminally stupid, racist, senile, etc. manage to prevail."

I should also add that the terminally [etc] seem to have ever fewer arguments for Brexit. As they had none to begin with...

Cheers,

R.

10. Andrew Flannigan

I'm pretty sure we'll leave the EU. We'll have different passports and we'll pay lots of extra costs and ... well ... everything else will stay the same - but it'll be a great victory for the leavers.

11. peterba

I was about to click the 'Like' button for this post. Then I realised that - despite believing it to be a pretty accurate summary - I really, really, REALLY don't like it all. :(

saxacat, DaveS and Roger Hicks like this.
  12. Andrew Flannigan

Perhaps I didn't make the sarcastic irony clear enough. Or perhaps it's just the reality that their inevitable lies that "they got their own way" will be repeated ad nauseum until the gullible believe it. Either way I apologise.

Roger Hicks and peterba like this.
  13. peterba

No - don't worry; no apology needed. I got it straight away... even I am not that slow! ;)

I was really trying to distinguish between hitting the 'Like' button, and actually liking the content. Let's say that I appreciated your post, while certainly not liking the scenario that you described.

Roger Hicks likes this.
  14. SqueamishOssifrage

SqueamishOssifrage Well-Known Member

I don't believe that Brexit will be 'overturned', as that would be 'denying democracy' or 'ignoring the will of the people' or some such trite neologism. I think that what will happen is that we will have a featherbed soft Brexit with a long period of apparent hardening up, which will in fact be a slow getting between the sheets again. This would be very appropriate, since, as there was less than a 4% majority for Brexit, we should have less than a 4% Brexit. :D

What is important in this scenario is that we Remoaners shout and scream like the very devil that we have a diabolically hard Brexit, we're going to ruination at a gallop, we will never be able to set foot in Europe again etcetera etcetera und so weiter ad infinitum ad nauseam. After all, if the Brexiteers are dumb enough to believe the lies on the side of a bus, they're dumb enough to believe the lies we spin them to make them happy. :rolleyes:

By the way, I saw a video on the BBC site last night featuring Nigel Faridge. While I did enjoy a certain amount of schadenfreude at his clear discomfort, nonetheless, would someone please take him outside and deal with him in whatever they think would be an appropriate manner? Thank you so much.

15. Roger_Provins

Roger_Provins Well-Known Member

Some interesting newspaper front pages this morning ....

peterba likes this.
  16. peterba

Yes - the Mail and the Express spouting their usual bile, while the others give a far more mixed reception.

I noticed an interesting couple of sentences towards the bottom of the page: "Michael Gove - has his say in the Daily Telegraph.
    His article welcomes the deal, but he adds that if the British people dislike the arrangement, they can choose a government in the future which will follow a different path.
    "

Presumably, he is simply trying to convey the impression that he is a reasonable man, and a 'good democrat' :rolleyes: at heart... or could it be that even Gove is starting to realise that Brexit is nothing more than an utterly pointless self-inflicted disaster...?

Last edited: Dec 9, 2017
  17. peterba

Why should it be me that has to face a GBH charge? ;):)

18. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

Gah! I was just having my breakfast

steveandthedogs likes this.
  19. SqueamishOssifrage

SqueamishOssifrage Well-Known Member

'Cos you're closer, and anyway, I'm off to the Philippines today and won't be back for three weeks. :p:D

steveandthedogs and peterba like this.
  20. peterba

Oh, thanks a bunch! Did you really have to remind me that I'm (geographically) closer to Farage? That's like having someone point out that you've just stepped in some dogsh*t. :)

Have a good holiday (if that's what it is).

Last edited: Dec 9, 2017
    steveandthedogs likes this.