1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

More Brexit good news

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Roger Hicks, Nov 1, 2017.

1. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Brexit has already cost every household over £600 a year, according to the National Institute of Economic and Social Research, and even David Davis -- so bad they nearly named him twice -- admits that leaving the EU is going to cost a fortune and that the settlement will be heavily in favour of Brussels.

Cue Brexiters saying "These are only predictions!" and "Project fear!"

But where are the Brexiter's costed or even credible predictions of sunlit uplands? Or their accounts of how their foolish voting has already brought great advantages to the UK? Such as £10+ a week better off instead of £10+ a week worse off?

How long can it be before the realities of Brexit penetrate their thick skulls and shrivelled hearts?

I've given up being polite about them. Yes, there may be some who have thought everything through and voted with intelligence. I'll start believing in their existence when one of them provides convincing arguments about the immediate advantages of the Brexit vote, i.e. the good things it has delivered so far, or even about the future advantages of this idiocy.

Cato the Elder is said to have finished all his speeches with "Carthago delenda est!", Carthage must be destroyed. To spare the tender sensibilities of Brexiters, I'll use my equivalent only on political threads:

ARTICLE 50 MUST BE WITHDRAWN.

Cheers,

R.

2. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

Destroy Brexit not Britain.

3. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

I had noticed.
    Cheers John.

ascu75 likes this.
  4. Roger Hicks

Dear John,

Could you possibly take me up on "when one of them provides convincing arguments about the immediate advantages of the Brexit vote, i.e. the good things it has delivered so far, or even the future advantages of this idiocy"?

ARTICLE 50 DELENDA EST

Cheers,

R.

5. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

I didn't vote for it but it has already made some UK produce cheaper than EU imports and one of my friends who did vote for it now has a cleaning job after 9 years of unemployment.

Coincidence?

6. Roger Hicks

Dear Andrew,

Fascinating.

Maybe we can all get cleaning jobs: cleaning shoes, perhaps. I'm sure that's the clue to turning around the economy. Nothing else is in with a chance: competent government, sensible taxation, UBI. Or manufacturing.... How is it that the Swiss, the Germans and the French still make things, while the UK economy is based on gambling?

Are you arguing for reduced immigration? Might it be that the UK simply refused to apply the controls on EU migration that were allowed by EU rules? Yes it might.

Exactly which UK produce is now cheaper than EU? For that matter, is it simply that UK prices have stayed the same, and EU prices have gone up because of the falling pound? If the UK prices have gone down in absolute terms, why? The EU wasn't forcing UK suppliers to charge more...

And coincidence? Yes, possibly. Or maybe not.

WITHDRAW ARTICLE 50 NOW.

Cheers,

R.

Trannifan and steveandthedogs like this.
  7. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

Firstly, I'm not arguing, merely reporting observations.

The most striking price increase I've noticed is on some hams, particularly at the cheaper end of the scale, with some from the EU going up about 45% whilst Scottish ham prices have stayed the same and appear to be benefiting from increased sales. My guess is it is the exchange rate causing it.

It might sound minor but I read something the other day that said more UK households buy cold meat than toilet roll and I expect the data was based on loyalty card data analysis. Seems 3% eat but don't poop :eek::D

8. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

9. SqueamishOssifrage

SqueamishOssifrage Well-Known Member

Yes, there is one huge benefit - WE CAN GOT TO WAR WITH FRENCH AGAIN - just as we have been doing for the best part of the last thousand years. If we did it while in the EU, I am sure the ECJ would be quite beastly to us, and it is, after all, our oldest national sport.

10. Craig20264

Craig20264 Well-Known Member

Think you're preaching to the choir a bit on this forum Roger. Have you thought of starting an online petition? Use your social media platforms to spread the word.
    I don't think ranting on a Photography forum with around 20 or 30 regular posters is reaching the masses.

11. Roger Hicks

Another benefit of Brexit! I am astonished!

In other words, import prices have gone up and UK prices have stayed the same.

And one more person has a low-grade service job.

As for the loo rolls, what do you THINK the Daily Mail is for?

Cheers,

R.

Trannifan likes this.
  12. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

Problem is most people read it online. You need some paper to wipe the monitor clean.

13. Terrywoodenpic

Not related in a favourable way
    Some EU imports cost more because the value has fallen out of the pound.
    When the costs work through the system the advantage will be lost, and the relative prices will fall into line again.

As to your friend finding a job it would be surprising indeed if it had any link at
    All to brexit. As none of its labour provisions have come into force yet.
    Nor do Migrant workers target cleaning jobs, they do not pay enough to make it worth their while.

14. Andrew Flannigan

Which happens. Britain's disasterous if mercifully brief flirtation with the ERM shows that fixed exchange rate mechanisms aren't much better in practice. Mind you - George Soros was happy enough with the outcome of that debacle.

15. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

At the moment I think it is important to remember how well stories of ballsed up brexit sell.

They are in high demand and masses of people seem to enjoy them.

They may be about as accurate as news stories on weed where they can't even get the name of the strain right never mind appear to have a clue about what it does
    I know many migrant workers in cleaning jobs. At my place of work every single cleaner is Polish and does not appear to work for an equal opportunities employer. Some of them have been to Germany and other places too. I think there might be some benefits for them here as well as a wage if they have children back home and visit occasionally.

Why has the pound been falling against the euro recently? Brexit seems to have played a significant role in that.

16. Terrywoodenpic

Are you sure that they are migrant workers and have not moved here permanently.

The pound has fallen because the rest of the world do not want to buy pounds and have reduced their holdings in them.
    Money is a commodity like any other and moves with supply and demand. All the pounds out there printed for Quantitative Easing has created an over supply.
    Brexit has frightened buyers off. Pounds are now a bad investment as anyone with savings will confirm.

daft_biker and steveandthedogs like this.
  17. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Sampling the attitude of brexiteers closest to me, I do sense a spirit of nihilism behind it all. "At any price" seems to sum up their attitudes, so on that basis, no doom forecasting is going to move them. That's basically what they voted for.

18. Terrywoodenpic

Hard line brexiteers are most unlikely to admit they were wrong.
    They will keep their heads in the fire, till they gasp their last cry of praise of empire glories past.

However a very large proportion voted brexit out of self interest... they were misled by promises of better things.
    It is absolutely clear now, that, that was no more than wishful thinking.
    If they have the opportunity again they will still vote for self interest, but this time they can see that that self interest and benefits are firmly in the camp of remain.
    If any thing they will do so in some anger that they had been fooled by the brexiteers.

Politicians know this to be true, but they are desperate not to be made to look foolish by it, and to have wasted so much effort, time and money supporting such a foolish enterprise. and cause such damage to the economy and reputation of the UK

19. Andrew Flannigan

They're wasting their time. There can be very few citizens who don't view politicians with contempt nowadays. Those who have any respect left for politicians in the mass really have lost the plot. Every so often a politician pops up who does seem to be a decent human being and that's always a nice surprise.

20. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

I was reminded today about a Chinese member of my team as she is coming back to work next week. Maybe she still counts as a migrant worker as she has to apply for visas to stay and work for not much more than minimum wage? And she has a degree!