1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mono Conversion

Discussion in 'Talking Pictures' started by RovingMike, Jun 20, 2017.

1. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Taking up a side discussion from an Appraisals post, it has been said that Silver Efex Pro is very prone to haloing, especially when converting sharpened pics. I have certainly been plagued with this myself and I can't even find anything that says my PEN F is sharpening.
    But here's a couple of side by sides at 100% on the guy pointing and 16.67% on the building, with the SEP versions on the right and a simple Channel Mixer mono with red filter in PS on the left. The SEP versions are simply not usable.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. P_Stoddart

P_Stoddart Well-Known Member

surely any raw files is BEFORE in camera processing?

If there is a PEN F sharpening option it should be on the Olympus software sold with the camera?

3. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

Do you use a preset in SEP? What's the 'structure' slider set to and does changing it help?

4. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Got it in one I think. Using Neutral (other presets really degrade), but structure has been up too high. It does help to keep it in the middle.

5. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

Yeh, structure is a mix of local edge contrast and some extra sharpening I think.