1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Monitors for Photo Editing (12 September)

Discussion in 'AP Magazine Feedback & Suggestions' started by PhotoEcosse, Sep 7, 2015.

1. PhotoEcosse

PhotoEcosse Well-Known Member

I was interested in the comparative review of monitors for photo-editing in this week's AP.

However, I would have liked to have seen the general introduction make some mention of the benefits of using two monitors side-by-side.

Currently I use two 27" Dell Ultrasharps and find this to be a very useful configuration for amateur use.

When working in Lightroom alone, I employ the built-in two-monitor setting in Lightroom to have the main display with modules, pre-sets, collections and the editing workspace on one screen and an almost-fullscreen image on the second.

When working in Photoshop from within Lightroom, I find it useful to have the original Lightroom-edited image on one screen for reference, and the Photoshop workspace on the other.

Would I upgrade to a pair of top-quality monitors such as the Eizo or NEC models featured in the report? Well, I do keep my Euromillions ticket up to date.

But, meantime, for keen amateur use, I would suggest that a pair of good, middle price range, 27" screens possibly represent better value for money than a single top-of-the-range monitor. (Clearly some professionals working in, say, product photography, might have different priorities.)

Eric

2. Grierson

Grierson Well-Known Member

Well I would need a lottery win to find the money for your two 27" Dell Ultra Sharps. The article was let down for me by not discussing a number of more realistically priced monitors with the exception of the Samsung and perhaps the Viewmaster. My elderly NEC MultiSync 221W is coming to the end of it's life and I would have dearly liked to have seen a review of some similar sized alternatives.

3. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

These appear to be well respected,

http://www.amazon.co.uk/DELL-860-10161-UltraSharp-U2412M-Monitor/dp/B005LNDPPS

~£180

I went for a 27" monitor, but it's a significant step up in price (I went for the Dell UltraSharp 27", around £400 when I bought it a few months ago).

4. Grierson

5. Grierson

Just an addendum to the thread. Mr Chester is clearly optimistic if he believes that the Viewsonic VP2772 can be purchased for the quoted price of £515.00