1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Monitor Colour Temperature For APOY Image Judging

Discussion in 'AP Magazine Feedback & Suggestions' started by AlterBridger, Feb 23, 2016.

1. AlterBridger

AlterBridger Member

So that I can get my images at there best for the judges to review, can someone from AP, tell me what the colour temperature is for the monitor they review images on ?

2. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

There is no such thing as the colour temperature of a monitor. There are only calibrated or uncalibrated states. Monitors differ in their gamut, the range if colours they can reproduce, but they should reproduce the greyscale without colour cast.

I have two monitors next to each other. When the computer boots, and before the calibrations are loaded, one is clearly bluer and the other clearly browner than neutral.

I doubt APOY is judged on screen. I'd expect prints to be used in the final assessments as that way judges can sit around a table and exchange views most easily.

3. GlennH

GlennH Well-Known Member

Colour temperature (white point) is nominally 6500K in most monitors, but this temp with LED or fluorescent backlighting is always subject to variation along a green to magenta axis. D65 is a more precise calibration target, if it can be achieved.

For APOY purposes, even if the judging was done onscreen it's no easy thing to get two monitors looking identical. In all likelihood, the pictures would be chiefly judged on content anyway, so you probably don't need to go to great lengths.

4. PeteRob

Whoops, I replied too quick on automatic last night. I didn't connect the words colour temperature with the white point temperature. I'll look at the settings tonight (in the morning my office is too bright for photowork or screen calibration) which are based on a preset for pre-press work. I think it is calibrated to D50.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2016
  5. PeteRob

As Glenn pointed out that was wrong.

I looked at the manual for my calibration software and summarise what it says. Colour temperature is not the determining property it is the spectral distribution. The standard for ICC managed work is a Daylight spectrum of approximate colour temperature 5000K called D50. The standard for assessing paint and textile colours, for office work and for video production is D65.

6. PhotoEcosse

PhotoEcosse Well-Known Member

I suspect that you are HUGELY overestimating the sophistication of the judging process. I am pretty sure that no prints will be involved and I imagine that any discussion is very limited - perhaps to deciding the order of the top three.

But, in answer to the OP, don't worry about it. If your monitor is correctly calibrated and the judges' monitors are correctly calibrated, everything should be close enough as far as it matters.

I don't expect that each image submitted (average entries about 600-800, I seem to recall) gets viewed for more than a couple of seconds anyway until a shortlist has been decided by a simple points system.

It would be nice to know the exact process of judging, but I don't suppose we ever will.

7. GlennH

GlennH Well-Known Member

Yes, the best you can really do is just profile and calibrate your own monitor, and then the photos you send out will look roughly equal on another calibrated monitor. Even that measure is probably a step further than most amateurs go.

Kelvin temperature never applies literally to a monitor, which uses what is known as a 'correlated colour temperature'. This is why two monitors at the same setting (e.g. 6500K) can easily look different (setting aside other factors). A correlated colour temperature allows green/magenta leeway. Same goes for everyday LED or fluorescent light bulbs.

8. Richard Sibley

Richard Sibley AP Deputy Editor

All of the images are viewed on a calibrated monitor.

I'm not going to go in to all the details, but, usually, 5 people are involved in the APOY judging. The constants in this are Oliver Atwell, our Features Writer, Phil Hall, Technique Editor, and someone from Sigma UK, as the sponsor of the competition. Other staff will help to judge depending on the round in question and their interests.

We decide the best 50 images, from the hundreds that we receive, and then from there put each of them in order, from the strongest to the weakest.

Sometimes it is straightforward, there are images that everyone likes and thinks are worthy of being the winner, or at least in the top 10. Other times we have (sometimes quite heated) discussions about an image, and compromises have to made, or votes cast.

Beleive me, it can be a very time consuming process.

9. AlterBridger

AlterBridger Member

10. Rab90

Rab90 New Member

As I use a Mac my local camera club has trouble getting at pictures in an email which they say are embedded as far as their PC is concerned. To get round that I put my images in a discreet file and attach that. Is this an acceptable method of sending entries to the APOY 16 competition?

11. PeteRob

The rules are in this weeks mag (microscope needed) and online. I saw that prints and transparencies are still allowed. Presumably not to be viewed on a calibrated monitor!