1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mobile phones

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Brian, Oct 17, 2017.

1. Brian

Brian Venerable Elder

Must admit I am one of the " My life is my phone " brigade...........not

Last months usage amounted to five texts and three calls, two of those trying to locate my wife's phone. :)

So the £15 a month payment seems stupid. I tried EE, current provider , they suggested PAYG that's alright, but you have to use your allowance within a period. So are there any open ended agreements, pay a bit in and top up when and if?

All I want is a means of contacting in an emergency and or finding the wife's phone.

2. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

That is the way my Tesco sim card works. I just top up every year or so.

3. Roger_Provins

Roger_Provins Well-Known Member

I have a PAYG account with My3. Deposit £10 and the cost is 3p a minute for any call. Will last me years. :)

4. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

I signed up with a provider umpteen years ago and resisted all blandishments to "upgrade". My SIM only deal costs less than £8 / month and gives me all the resources I require so I regard it as a good deal.

5. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

I've been with EE (or whatever they were called when I joined, "Orange" I think) and I'm still on PAYG. I'm not aware of having to use my credit within a certain time-limit. (I am on my Mobile Broadband Account with 3.) I wonder if I'm benefiting from a very old agreement, or whether you've been misinformed. I did make the mistake of topping up my mobile phone credit recently, just in case I needed it for "parking by phone" whilst visiting Richmond. We didn't, and I expect it will take several years before I reduce my phone credit to its normal low level.

6. AlanW

AlanW Well-Known Member

I'm on a £6 per month SIM only deal with Virgin, 300 minutes of calls, unlimited texts and a bit of data. Like yourself I only use a fraction of my allowances but still works out cheaper for me than the PAYG I was on previously.

7. Brian

Brian Venerable Elder

No the "got to use" condition was from personal experience some years ago, don't know about now. Just checked with current provider EE, they have a plan, but it's £5 a month. Just checked my usage two weeks into the month and it's one text........missus can't have lost her phone........yet.

8. Dorset_Mike

Dorset_Mike Grumpy Old Fart

I don't have a problem not having a mobile phone, I did have one given to me but when I tried to use it found that I should have "topped up" within 6 months I decided as I've not had to use it in 6 months+ it was not essential, after all I'd managed over 70 years without one so why start~?

9. Brian

Brian Venerable Elder

That's how I remember it.

But I really think a mobile phone can be useful. I remember some years ago at the Focus exhibition. Lost contact with my wife, took two hours to find her. And in the car for emergency use they can/could be a life saver.

And then of course there is finding where she has left hers.

10. TheFatControlleR

TheFatControlleR :Devil's Advocaat: Forum Admin

Scphoto and Zou like this.
  11. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

Tesco PAYG has been good for wife and I for quite a few years.

12. Brian

Brian Venerable Elder

Thanks guys, Tesco it is.

13. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

I have an old Orange EE PAYG phone. The credit lasts for yonks but I believe one has to make a call at least once every three months or so to keep the account active. I've never sent a text message.

14. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Only problem I had with them was their network - o2 just not great in this area. Like the plans and usage model though.

TheFatControlleR likes this.
  15. Mike40

Mike40 Member

I have a 'dumb' phone - just use for receiving / sending calls and texts. It runs on the 3 network PAYG. Top-ups last forever and, unlike for a friend who is to be believed on Tesco, 3 doesn't charge to top-up!! Top-ups have no expiry date.

Three-to-Three calls

3p / min

Texts to any UK mobile

2p / text

Mobile internet

Free allowance of 10MB with every top-up, then 1p / MB

Voice calls to other UK mobiles

3p / min

Voice calls to UK landline starting 01, 02 or 03

3p / min

UK video messages

40p

UK picture messages

40p

Calls to voicemail in the UK

3p / min

Calls to numbers starting 084, 087, 118 or 09

45p/min Access Charge plus a Service Charge (set by the company you’re calling – they’ll tell you this).

Hope this helps. I have no affinity to 3 other than a satisfied customer.

Take care
    Mike.

16. SqueamishOssifrage

SqueamishOssifrage Well-Known Member

tl;dr :D

17. Mark101

Mark101 Well-Known Member

My wife is a gifgaff fan.

18. ascu75

ascu75 Well-Known Member

Snap years ago one provider stole my £3:52p and I have not replaced the phone since. I dont hold a grudge for very long but in 1968 I was turned away from seeing James Bond I had stood in the pouring rain for an hour and was within three people of getting in. I havevn't seen a James Bond film since and as I said I dont bear a grudge for long but me forgiving the mobile phone industry will be up for review Circa 2058!!!!!
    Don