1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Missing some deep shadows

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by EightBitTony, Aug 25, 2017.

1. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

So I'm missing a regular intake of deep shadows from @lfc1892 in Appraisals - just me or anyone else?

Geren likes this.
  2. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

Yes, I had noticed the absence of that individual style. It's mainly just the usual stuff at present, I haven't seen anything much in there recently that moves me to comment.

3. lfc1892

lfc1892 Well-Known Member

I'll be back soon folks. Just up to the eye balls in work and the usual. Have taken some shots over the last few weeks but literally haven't had time to process them but hoping to this week. How's things with everyone?

EightBitTony and Geren like this.
  4. EightBitTony

Work is rubbish, life is full of stress, photography is sometimes a respite and sometimes a source of frustration.

5. peterba

peterba Well-Known Member

Did you mean that work for you is rubbish at present, or was it a more of a philosophical comment, upon work in general? :)

If it's the former, then I'm sorry to hear that... if the latter, then I entirely agree... ;):)

Footloose likes this.
  6. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

Work is the curse of the drinking classes.

Roger Hicks likes this.
  7. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

Some people work to live, some live to work. Depends which camp you are in, I suppose... :cool:

8. EightBitTony

It's both. Working for a living is a ridiculous idea.

Zou and peterba like this.
  9. Andrew Flannigan

Agreed. On the other hand being paid to do what you enjoy is a different matter altogether.

Footloose likes this.
  10. EightBitTony

You know, I'm not sure. As soon as you start being paid to do something you enjoy, along comes an element of pressure, delivery, work, expectation, responsibility. I think those people who say they love their jobs because it's being paid to do something they love are mentally able to deal with the external pressures, where as I (I won't speak for anyone else) am doing a job I theoretically should love, but the fact that it's work makes it rubbish. Also, the actual organisation, structure and processes are soul destroying.

I'm doing what I love, it's not fun.

Zou and steveandthedogs like this.
  11. Andrew Flannigan

Really sorry to hear that. The pressures sometimes overwhelmed the pleasure but I enjoyed my work often enough that some weeks the salary was a nice extra. I hope you and everyone else can find that balance at some stage.

12. Craig20264

Craig20264 Well-Known Member

I enjoy my work. What I don't enjoy is having to do it. ;)

dream_police and Zou like this.
  13. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

Right now I'd give a lot to be working at all though so I guess it depends on your perspective

14. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

Likewise. I actually enjoyed my 30 years in the police. Yes, it was a bind at times, yes it was stressful at times, yes I moaned at times, yes I was ready to move on, but looking back now that I have retired, I can honestly say that on the whole I enjoyed my job.

Now I have a new job i think I'm going to quite enjoy this too. The beauty of this one is, if i don't, I can just leave and try something else.

15. peterba

peterba Well-Known Member

I attained that kind of perspective at various points during my career. However, by the time I'd done around 40 years, I'd had enough - partly due to my desire to have some free time, but also because I had seen management's tiresome re-invented wheel come around too many times... :rolleyes:

16. EightBitTony

Indeed, don't get me wrong, I'm grateful every day for the salary - I just think the concept is fundamentally flawed.

peterba likes this.
  17. Dorset_Mike

Dorset_Mike Grumpy Old Fart

I did 23 years in theRAF, general consensus then was that it was better than working for a living; I believe things have changed somwhat since the 1970s. (at least the pension now pays the rent!)

peterba likes this.
  18. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

I used to work as a technician for a local FE college, and on the days when I wasn't working, I volunteered as a student mentor. The two things sort of became combined and I absolutely loved my time there. Unfortunately it wasn't possible to maintain that AND study full time at art school so I had to give it up, but I'd have done it for nothing I loved it so much. Right now, I just need to be able to keep paying the mortgage!

peterba likes this.