1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Minolta X-300

Discussion in 'Help Team' started by TommyTrinda, Jun 1, 2014.

1. TommyTrinda

TommyTrinda New Member

Hey guys!
    im new here as you can probably see lol
    i have just got my very first SLR camera, a Minolta X-300.
    I am just looking for general tips or tricks for the camera and also any cleaning tips too :)
    also what sort of cleaning equipment would be good for the Minolta X-300?
    thanks guys :)

2. frank1

frank1 Well-Known Member

A dry cloth on the camera and a soft brush to get into the nooks and crannies. You don't really want to touch anything inside. If you have a rocket blower a good blow with that is all you need. Don't touch the mirror.

For the lens or lenses blow the front element with a rocket blower if you have one or a blow from your mouth a dry one is best. Depending on how clean or dirty the lens is. Optical fluids will do it, me a good haw of breath is what I use. Some will say that will damage the coating and it probably will but once in a while.

The camera is quite old I presume it is in working order. I have no experience of the camera. My oldest Min is an xd7 don't use it digital sent it to a drawer. Can't think of any tips. It's a camera and they are all much of a much.

There's only one way to find if it's good and that is to run some film through it. Do you have any experience in using a SLR. Google the camera and you will most likely find an instruction manual of sorts some where.

3. frank1

frank1 Well-Known Member

PS
    Never put liquid on to the lens front element always apply on a lint free cloth.

4. AlexMonro

AlexMonro Old Grand Part Deux

Hello, Tommy, and welcome to the AP forums!

Nice to see someone else using film - you might find some of the recent posts in the Film section of interest.

There's a website about manual focus Minolta SLRs here, and you can download a PDF manual for the X-300 from Mike Butkus's site here. If you find it useful, I suggest you make a donation to help him keep the site running.

5. PeteE

PeteE Well-Known Member

I was asked to test that same model by a Camera Club friend who had it in MINT condition un-used for many years and it 'would not work' -- well, even with a new battery it would not wind on or shutter fire -- I did some research -- if the Minolta had not been used for so many years the electronics had gone off in the base plate -- there is a 'resistor' which fails if camera is not used so no electricity goes through the electronics ..... so please USE your cameras -- fire them off every so often !

6. frank1

frank1 Well-Known Member

That's interesting must get and fire up my xd7

7. TommyTrinda

TommyTrinda New Member

mine is perfect condition aswell, i picked mine up from a charity shop where my mum works, it was on the shelf with a seperate flash so i asked them how much they wanted for it and because the manager was good friends with my mum she gave it me for £10! all in all i spent £18 on it, which was:
    Minolta X-300
    Minolta 118X AutoFlash
    Carry Case (Minolta Leather and Velvet)
    Case for the Flash (Minolta Leather)
    All above for £10
    [h=5]FujiFilm Superia XTra 400 24 Exposure Film - £3.86 (Boots)[/h]Energizer LR44 Batteries 2 Pack - £4.25 (Buy one Get One free at WHSmith at the moment!)
    all adds up to a cool £18.11!!!
    i will post some pictures for you guys to review wheni get them developed :) any idea how much i will be set back for developing?
    cheers guys :)

8. PeteE

PeteE Well-Known Member

Re: Minolta X-300( Developing the Film)

I take a lot of my colour negative to BOOTS in Brentwood High Street where Bill the Photo Manager 'knows' about photography and does an excellent job with fresh solutions and no colour casts and it is £ 4-99 for a 24 exposure film ( on which I get 27 frames at no extra cost !)

9. AlexMonro

AlexMonro Old Grand Part Deux

The same price (for 2 day service) in the Boots branches in Exeter and Bath, so it's probably the standard rate nation wide. You can get the negs scanned to CD (at fairly low res - 1800 x 1200) for an extra £2.

Also, from time to time, Poundland have Agfa Vista 200 24 exposure rolls at £1 (very occasionally a few 36s mixed in as wel)l. Usually on a shelf near the blank CDs. It's not bad film, to me it looks similar to Superia 200, but it's not as good as Kodak Ektar 100.

Good to see someone else getting in to using film! :)

10. TommyTrinda

TommyTrinda New Member

ah cheers guys, ill definately keep you updated on my journey with this camera on this thread :)
    top people :)