1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Memory sticks

Discussion in 'Digital Image Editing & Printing' started by Brian, Mar 16, 2017.

1. Brian

Brian Venerable Elder

The Mac is up and running, even the add on external drive. I know it's overkill, but my next door neighbour has just bought a very ordinary looking saloon car with best part of 600 bhp.. So my new set up might be over the top but only cost a couple of grand, I can use my set up, all he can do is lean on the bar and brag about the size of his.. :)

Anyway that's not the point. Memory sticks.........

Mine worked fine, then suddenly zilch. Well almost., it appears on the screen showing one picture. If I look at the "info" it shows 15Gb used and about the same available.

Any ideas?

I wouldn't normally bother but......and it's a big BUT. The stick contains all my wedding photographs,I had copied them from my old computer to transfer to the new Mac prior to printing. Initially when I checked they worked but now, Oh dear, I can see trouble looming.:(

2. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

You could look at this page: http://oss.digirati.com.br/f3/ It won't just detect fakes but it should also indicate if a valid device is losing integrity.

3. Roger_Provins

Roger_Provins Well-Known Member

As the contents are really important I'd strongly suggest not trying anything yourself but get in touch with data recovery experts.
    There are many but when I was still working we used Kroll Ontrack on several occasions. They’ll advise you over the phone and quote (best to be seated).

4. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

You haven't lost them as long as you have your old computer.

Sticks sometimes get upset if they are pulled out of the computer without being properly ejected. Try to eject it and put it in again. If it won't eject then shut down the computer. Take the stick out. Restart the computer. Put the stick back.

Mac can present the information on a disk in several ways. If you were looking at a subfolder with one file in it it may give the impression that there is only one file on the disk/stick if the top-level view is set at that folder. This is unlike windows which has taken away the ability to root the explorer view at subfolder level.

5. Brian

Brian Venerable Elder

Here we go.

[​IMG]

6. PeteRob

try the third view icon - looks like a book. You have the first one selected for grid view.

7. Brian

Brian Venerable Elder

Tried that Pete. :(

[​IMG]

8. PeteRob

that's big. So unless you can scroll left it does look like that's all that is on the stick. If there were folders I'd expect a series of columns with the thumbnail in the rightmost one for the selected file. There is a mac disk utility that can check the USB drive and perhaps fix errors. I haven't used it. If the original files are all safe on your old PC there is no harm to try. I don't know if mac trash lists files deleted from the USB drive in case you accidentally did so.

9. Brian

Brian Venerable Elder

It does seem strange Pete. If you look at the first screen shot you will note it indicates something like 16Gb of the memory has been used. To my mind then the images must still be on the stick.

Fortunately I recovered the files from the trash bin on my old computer.

Thus escaping emasculation...........til the next time.

10. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

Rule 1 for all data: if it's important, keep three copies on three seperate devices and check them by eye after writing and every few months thereafter.

11. PeteRob

Good - keep many copies!

I guess the FAT is corrupted. This keeps tabs on where the data in the files are. I think there is a backup copy of the FAT and when you try to fix a disk/stick it first uses the back-up.

When files are deleted the data isn't. The FAT entry is marked "deleted" and this can be reversed. The trash/recycle bin keeps track of what is marked as deleted. When you empty the trash/recycle bin it forgets this information and then the data locations are free to be written over again. Data recovery can work by trying to stitch files together from the component parts even if the FAT data is gone. This works best if the file is written in one go on the disk - using consecutive sectors. So it is a good idea to defragment a disk regularly - it tries to arrange it so that files are written with as much data in sequence as possible.

If the old PC is running you could run chkdsk on the memory stick and see what it says or use the Mac Disk utility. What can happen, especially working with big or many files, if the stick is still being used when it is removed, especially when written to, the FAT can get corrupted. The only way you can safely take a stick out is to eject it or stop the computer first. Windows will often say "Device in use" hours after it was last used. Mac seems to stop the device every time.

12. Brian

Brian Venerable Elder

Thanks for your help Pete. Playing with the old computer I found another copy of all the wedding stuff filed under my documents. Tried the first aid Mac checking thing, got the sod off message, well not exactly but that's more or less what the mumbo jumbo meant. Still playing about is helping me find my way around.