1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Memory Cards - rewrite or write once?

Discussion in 'General Equipment Chat & Advice' started by pixelpuffin, Apr 13, 2018.

1. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

Bazarchie likes this.
  2. gw8izr

gw8izr Member

I lost a photo of a work colleague standing on a cable drum, he was trying to get a signal on an early analogue mobile phone, it was a poor photo but it captured an era when we were developing a technology that most today take for granted. The photo is irreplaceable and I only went looking for it when I found out he was dying. I lost it by clumsily dropping the storage drive. Two terabytes of unimportant cack and one important picture.

3. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

I constantly drag photos off mine and my wife's phone, of all kinds, and store them in my Lightroom catalog, and then get them into the backup cycle.

Too often we don't know today what we'll feel is important tomorrow. Storage costs continue to drop quicker than my storage consumption, so at present, outside of repeat shots, shots with nothing in them and stuff which is technically unusable, I don't delete RAWs or JPGs (if the JPG is the only copy).

4. gw8izr

gw8izr Member

And that's the reason for my post, it was an inconsequential thing that I now miss, hey ho!

Frustrating considering what I did for a living :)

5. AndyTake2

AndyTake2 Well-Known Member

They're not particularly expensive - the one I have is like an overgrown briefcase - not a whole heap of space inside, but that's because of the fire insulation. I bought it mainly to keep stuff like insurance documents in - so if the house burned down, I could at least remember who the hell I was insured with! Chucking a portable HDD or other media in there came later.

It is possible to go nuts though. Fire safes which are built along the lines of fixed safes (wall/floor etc) are available, and if I were earning a decent amount from the computer, whether photography or not, it is possible to buy a fire-safe file server....but they ain't cheap.:eek: