1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Memory card query

Discussion in 'General Equipment Chat & Advice' started by Gibson67, Oct 8, 2019.

1. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Yes, its free!
    If I may, this seems to be making a mountain out of a grain of sand. I never transfer from the camera, it is too slow a process, I just stick the card in the appropriate reader and blink a few times and it is done. Cameras have removable cards for a number of reasons, one of which is that manufacturers are aware that whatever interface they include will be superseded by something faster. Transfer speed is important to professional photographers.

I don't use Lightroom or Photoshop so my options are Nikon Transfer or Image Capture (Mac software) and Nikon Transfer works just fine for me, on a Mac. Using another program to import files shouldn't be a problem if you don't restrict yourself to using the camera as the interface.

I have no information on whether or not Nikon have prevented the use of Mass Storage mode in the interface but my most recent camera is a D4 built in around 2011 which has a "High speed" USB interface. Certainly my USB 3 XQD reader is faster than the camera, whether a Z series camera would be faster I don't know.

May I admit here that I can't see any good reason not to remove cards from cameras. All cards have "wiping" contacts which are designed to remove any contaminants from the mating surfaces when the card is removed or inserted, for that reason alone it seems a good idea to remove the card occasionally.

2. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Having had a chance to look at the D4 menus it does appear that there is no option to treat the memory cards as mass storage. Thus making card removal the only way to import images to a computer for Lightroom users.

3. pixelpuffin

pixelpuffin Well-Known Member

As someone who never wipes cards I admit the massive price hike recently in CF cards is making me think seriously about continuing this practice. I used to download direct from the camera interface but download times were sooooo long. Now I just copy the files to usb sticks and set to work using them, the original cards are either archived or if enough room remains I try to squeeze more,before buying another.

I used to pay around £22 for 32gb Hama CF cards - the cost has now virtually doubled. I’m toying with the idea of either buying a portable SSD drive or downsizing my file from JPEG L to JPEG M - I’m sure I read that this may actually give better results!! Not sure if that’s true

4. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Depends how you view the results. Most jpegs out of the camera are too big to display in a browser on a standard monitor, so the browser downsizes them to fit. Arguably an OEM downsize algorithm would make a better job of it. If you want to print then keep to the large size - you can always edit an image to downsize, going the other way involves more compromise.

5. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

My D4 uses an XQD card and a CF, at the current price of 32GB XQD card you wouldn’t even consider using them as an archive, you can buy a 500GB SSD for less but the transfer rate is amazing.