1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Megapixels - how many do I need?Some say try

Discussion in 'General Equipment Chat & Advice' started by Bazarchie, Oct 13, 2017.

1. Bazarchie

Bazarchie Well-Known Member

Are algorithms in the sensor, or the camera or in software?

2. Chester AP

Chester AP Well-Known Member

In the software...are you really to lazy to Google this word?

The data collected by the sensor is only part of the process: it must be processed according to rules defined in a software algorithm.
    Perhaps it's best to minimise the digital noise by using low ISO settings on your camera body. After 20 years using Kodachrome 200 ASA
    slide film, the option to use 1250 ASA on a 5 year old 16 megapixel APC-C camera body and get similar image quality still amazes me.

3. ChrisNewman

ChrisNewman Well-Known Member

As Chester AP says, algorithms are the rules the software uses for the calculations to turn the sensor data into an image, improving it’s quality in the process. So for an out-of-camera JPEG, the processing is built into the camera, and so newer models with noise reduction systems that can take advantage of more powerful processors, and might also be better designed, are likely to do a better job than those in older cameras. But if you process a RAW file on computer, you can use the latest programs on data from old sensors, and probably get much better results than out-of-camera JPEGs.

Chris

4. Bazarchie

Bazarchie Well-Known Member

Thanks Chris.

I shoot RAW and use the latest LR for processing, although I have yet to test last week's update. I tend to use the Nik Dfine plugin more than LRs one noise reduction, but as this software is no longer being developed and if the noise reduction algorithms are being improved, it will be overtaken.

5. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named