1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Masters of Photography

Discussion in 'Talking Pictures' started by dream_police, May 30, 2018.

1. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

Well one of them lost the plot tonight. It was refreshing to see a guest photographer/judge stick by his comments too when presented with their final pieces.

2. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Agree. Even though what they all did bore no relation to the task the way the judges described it at the start and the reason Salgado was there. None reflected on the place where they lived and its issues. They were only concerned with their issues, but I did like several of them. Watching the loser self-destruct was a bit painful.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
  3. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

Quite shocked by how far away from the given brief they all were to be honest. Had the bottom two pegged fairly early. Will be interested to see how the last three handle next week’s assignment as it really can’t be about them

4. RovingMike

I thought the review of what the final two had done at each stage last night was helpful and you did get a better idea of their overall capabilities and style. The one to drop out in 3rd place was fairly obvious. Shots were fly on the wall, not real engagement. Top two did OK, but again the judges were scrambling for nice things to say. Winner was not a surprise, but looked like the loser thought they had it by a mile.....as they seemed to believe all through (with some merit).

So not the best series, but that's really down to the contestants and I guess our high expectations in very limited time.

dream_police likes this.
  5. dream_police

Agree with all of the above.

6. Nikon_Peter

Nikon_Peter Well-Known Member

Haven't watched ep.7 & ep.8 yet, both on the Sky box planner. I've been watching MoP from the first and think this series has some of the worst contestants, to be fair though I probably wouldn't do any better. I think part of the issue is that the series lends itself to being rather pretentious artisitically and photographically, both on the part of the judges and contestants. Isn't helped by the way the they all seem to diverge from the brief at the end.

Which leads me to the other problem I have with it. Is the brief written in such a way that it's being interpreted in multiple ways by both the contestants and the judges? Does anyone know how specific the briefs are?
    We just get a rather broad overview on the programme. Perhaps that's the problem, perhaps the producers give the contestants such a broad overview of the subject and what they'll be judged on.

What I do like however is that in watching the programme it does make me think and consider how I'd approach the brief. So in that regard it's good for inspiration.

7. RovingMike

I think any of us here who think we only probably wouldn't do any better are dreaming.

But yes, the briefing is my issue, but only because I come from a discipline where the brief is sacrosanct and solutions are judged against it first, before wider creative issues. But in every creative discipline I know, briefs are re-written when something better and unexpected comes up. I think the briefs here are very general and there is plenty of scope for them to do something the judges will retro-ft into it.

But in real life few pros would approach such a wide range of tasks and for any they did, they would do a proper recce, set things up etc. Reportage is probably the only thing where it approaches real life. But it is nice to see how they approach it with such little time. So I think your last line justifies it for all of us.

8. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

You've reminded me that I still have the last episode to watch before our £1 deal on NOW TV runs out! I really enjoy the programme because I am always interested in how other people work and I find the unrealistic time constraints put on the contestants quite fascinating. I was really interested in the 'home' brief because I did something along those lines for a project of my own...and had six months in which to do it! I've been trying to pin down the character of my town for years. I really don't know that being landed with a dancer and given two hours to crack on with it would make it an easier job! That said there's definitely an element of schadenfreude when you see them going off the rails and I take quite a bit of delight in the amount of post-rationalisation that goes on.

9. Nikon_Peter

Nikon_Peter Well-Known Member

To post something possibly heretical on the Amateur Photography forum :eek:, this is one reason I buy Outdoor Photography magazine more than the likes of Practical and Digital, both of which tend to focus more on techniques and gear. They're very useful magazines for new techincal ideas, but with OP they have more on photographers and their work providing, I find, some great insight, inspiration and ideas for budding photographers.

10. RovingMike

Yep the sector still caters for a wide range of interests, but you do feel the need to attract advertising revenues dictates editorial more and more.

11. RovingMike

But very much akin to other reality shows. What great portrait or landscape artist knocks one off in 4 hours? Or singer shows what they can do in 90 secs?

12. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

Well quite. The formulaic aspect of the show is the element that annoys me most. I could very happily lose a lot of the cutaway/intro shots they repeat ad nauseam and replace with more photographic content. But I think we've discussed before that this isn't really a show aimed at photographers.

13. RovingMike

Would not have reached series 2. How many here join in this discussion, compared with anything on Brexit? You would think if anywhere there was avid interest, it would be here.

14. RovingMike

Just watched it again with the lady wife, who picked the winner long before the end. Definitely talent in the last two and very much in the winner. Remember Salgado's words on them from last week? "I am convinced I have met someone I will work with in the future" or similar.

15. dream_police

I loved her photo last week of her and her mother on the mattresses. I think she probably was the worthy winner. My wife had her as the winner from quite early on.

16. RovingMike

Yes she was the only conceptual photographer. Even Alex was more working within available scenes, than creating them.

17. William Parker

William Parker Well-Known Member

I have watched and quite enjoyed the series. Some of the photos created are superb and others that have done well look as though they might have been taken by me, and by that I don't mean they are good.

18. RovingMike

Right. I think a lot went wrong in the selection where they were second guessing the judges and with the visiting expert quite often giving totally wrong steers and then keeping very quiet when the judges shot their choice down (eg the settee shot in last one, which was truly awful). I saw so many good shots that never showed up at the end.

William Parker likes this.
  19. William Parker

William Parker Well-Known Member

This is what I dislike about photo competitions. Any image is subjective and at the end of the day it's only what one or two experts think is a good image. Ok these contestants were given a subject and location so that's slightly different but still very much open to interpretation, as they say 'beauty is in the eye of the beholder'

20. RovingMike

What is the alternative?

EightBitTony and Geren like this.