1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Masters of modern portrait photography

Discussion in 'Talking Pictures' started by smedz28, May 3, 2017.

1. smedz28

smedz28 Active Member

Hi all,

I am looking for inspiration in the field of portrait photography and thought it would be a good idea to have a look at and study the work of a renowned portrait photographer. Can anyone make any recommendations?

If it helps the kind of portrait work i'm interested in would be mostly studio type portraits and maybe some natural light portraiture. Ideally looking for a few books that study the style and give a deconstruction of their techniques and work methods etc

2. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Do you really want "modern"? The best portraits are often timeless.

Pro Lighting: Portraits
    from Rotovision shows the lighting plots for quite a few pictures, as does Hollywood Portraits. Armed with those two you should be able to "reverse engineer" the lighting on pretty much any portrait you see.

Cheers,

R.

3. smedz28

smedz28 Active Member

Well anything that is transferable to digital photography to be honest. I'll take a look at the suggestions you gave but if there are any books you could suggest as well, I like a good book and helps to refer back to and make notes etc

4. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Um... These ARE books.

Cheers,

R.

5. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

They *are* books. Roger wrote 'em!

6. smedz28

smedz28 Active Member

My apologies i've not had a chance to check the links until now. I thought they were links to web pages for online tutorials. Sorry :)

7. smedz28

smedz28 Active Member

Excellent reviews, definitely going to buy these. Thanks

8. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

I would suggest looking at two, recently deceased, acknowledged portraiture superstars: Jane Bown and Irving Penn. The former used available light (although it may have been artificial depending on time of day) almost exclusively, the latter had an available light capability in one of his studios but also created an artificial light set-up that was designed to mimic soft daylight back in the days of very restrictive low ISO speeds.

There are new books available on both of these photographers. Highly recommended.