1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Master of Photography is back May 25

Discussion in 'Talking Pictures' started by RovingMike, May 3, 2017.

1. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

Yes I'd seen that story before and actually I'm not all that bothered by his edits. Or the edits of his staff. Or, I should say, I'm not all that bothered by the fact that edits are carried out. Those efforts were pretty poor and I'd be hiring new staff or doing it myself if that was the standard! Travel photography is not necessarly 'reportage' and so I don't see why there would be a scandal.

2. AlanW

AlanW Well-Known Member

Discussed here about a year ago, thing is, he was calling himself a photojournalist until the story broke then he rebadged himself as a 'storyteller" :(

3. P_Stoddart

P_Stoddart Well-Known Member

To be honest I have cloned out the odd hand myself if cropping would spoil the balance.

On my London bridge shot there was a crane growing out one of the persons head. So I did remove it.

We have no rules on cloning in our society, but I believe that some national organizations do have rules about natural history shots.

Was there any rules about cloning out in MOP?

4. P_Stoddart

What do people think of my idea that MOP should have say a slide film round to really test the skills of the shooters? :)

5. P_Stoddart

Yeah, the one that got spotted in Italy was a howler, shocking it got to print level. Maybe unhappy staff member? :eek:

6. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Not sure it would televise well. Lots more time to develop and scan to insert in the programme.

7. P_Stoddart

E6 does not take that long to develop?

Who said anything scanning? They could use state of art slide projector instead. LOL

You can get a slide viewer that attaches to a digital camera for quick imaging for recording.

Don't forget with slide there is no post process at all. You've got to get it correct in camera. :)

That would be a real challenge LOL

8. RovingMike

Certainly a thought, but danger must be it all becomes part of the arcane old world of photography, rather than the digital populist. I actually wrote a proposal for exactly this show many years ago, about the time the original Watercolour Challenge started on BBC2(?) but it was rejected then on basis that photography was too niche an audience.

9. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

Finally watched the first episode, thought the format worked much better as you guys have already discussed. Certainly some interesting shots in the first round.

I thought for the bottom two, at least the barber's with the church reflection showed some element of the place, the through the window indoor shot was maybe less structurally flawed, but also less representative in my view.

10. RovingMike

Nope. Gone from my grey matter. Hopefully someone else can remember that far back. :(

11. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

No need :) It's fine. If I'd wanted contemporary chat I should have watched it at the time :)

12. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

I remember the shot but not who took it? I thought they were quite harsh on that particular photograph, especially as the point was to give a sense of place. When in a later episode they said that Olympe's shot of three people against a garage door really had a sense of place I wondered if they were always looking at the same things we were!

EightBitTony likes this.
  13. P_Stoddart

14. P_Stoddart

Photography niche?! :eek:

What over water colour? :p LOL

Every phone sold for over a decade has a camera LOL

Surely the most common and popular form of artist expression on the planet? :)

Even if you just take family images it is still a form of expression and art? :)

We live in a world surrounded by still images at the moment, billboard, magazines, websites,packaging for products etc

Do you think the concept might have got stolen? Maybe someone saw it at the beeb then joined Sky? :eek:

Last edited: Jul 15, 2017
  15. londonbackpackr

londonbackpackr Well-Known Member

Finally got to see the last two episodes. Disappointed with the outcome of the 'home sweet home' episode, a strong contender gone because of one poor episode, Comewell had more poor showings throughout the whole series but made the final:confused:

Our 'friend' was up to his tricks with the night shot, which IMHO was a pretty poor image, they talked about the Northern Lights but they didn't appear in the image only what looked like the glow of a town/city.

Out of the final three, I think the winner was the best excluding 'our friend' I wonder if the producers decided that was the way to stop him winning.

Quote from the producers on 5.5.17

16. londonbackpackr

londonbackpackr Well-Known Member

Yet we get a programme about pottery :rolleyes::confused:o_O

RovingMike likes this.
  17. P_Stoddart

I could be wrong but think the show had already been shot and winner sorted by the time all that about him had come out.

Too be fair the competition is about their photography during the show not what kind of work they had done in the past.

The only issue about that is how they short list the shooters for the show.

Someone else might have been bumped out for him who had presented a more 'true' portfolio than him.

18. RovingMike

I think many share that feeling. But if you are only reviewing past work in the final, then he was the worst in that one.

londonbackpackr likes this.
  19. RovingMike

Think the answer is digital TV has fragmented audiences so much, especially since streaming, that even small niches can be catered for. Stand by for Stamp Collector of the Year ;)

londonbackpackr likes this.