1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Martin Parr Book Signing - 20th August, Edinburgh.

Discussion in 'Forthcoming Events' started by AlanW, Aug 12, 2015.

1. AlanW

AlanW Well-Known Member

Martin Parr will be signing copies of his books at:

Stills, 23 Cockburn Street, Edinburgh
    on Thursday 20 August between 6.30 and 7.00 pm

details here: http://www.beyondwords.co.uk/news

2. Sejanus.Aelianus

Sejanus.Aelianus In the Stop Bath

Aha!

A sellebrity posting.

:rolleyes:

3. AlanW

AlanW Well-Known Member

And your point is . . . . :confused:

4. Sejanus.Aelianus

No point. Just a comment.

:D

5. AlanW

AlanW Well-Known Member

So it was a pointless comment? :)

6. Sejanus.Aelianus

Well, let's just say it had a rounded end, rather than a sharp one.

:)

7. AlanW

AlanW Well-Known Member

To put it bluntly! :)

8. Sejanus.Aelianus

I'm glad we got that one flattened out. :D

9. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

Well I'm not going to spend £20-odd to take the train to Edinburgh to stand in line and maybe get a signed copy of one of his books. Perhaps he'll be in Glasgow one day. Having been 'accused' of producing 'Parr-esque' work in the past I would have liked to meet him. I've always wondered if he'd find my shot of two little boys obliviously playing footie underneath one of his photographs on display in Deauville as amusing as I do.

10. AlanW

AlanW Well-Known Member

Wouldn't expect anyone to travel, it was just a 'heads up' to anyone who might be interested and in Edinburgh at the time, given that the place is heaving just now with the festival. The vast majority of the folk turning up will be twenty or thirty somethings who are current or past art college students, some will be sporting beards I suspect! And what's with the pipe renaissance that seems to be happening at the moment?

I went along to a signing a few years ago and the only person there older than me was Martin Parr! I'm past all that now . . . anyway, it's on a Thursday, Thursday is pizza night, I eat pizza on a Thursday (apologies to Sheldon Cooper).

Time to head out and take some photos.

Alan.

11. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

And if it had coincided with one of the days that I'm going to be in town for sorting my son out with his uni induction days, I'd have popped along.

You are wrong about one thing though. Thursday is not pizza night. Saturday is pizza night. Thursday is curry night. I do hope you're not going to try and sit in my spot?!

12. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

'A Martin Parr' used to be shorthand for 'Arts Council sponsored rubbish' at my London club many years ago. Either 1. tastes have changed, or 2. he has improved (not sure he has changed at all) or 3. I (we) have been educated more in image making, understanding & reading or 4. a less than happy future that has become our 'present' makes losing ourselves in an aspect of the nostalgia industry a happy & pleasant diversion.

My money is on #1 & #3.

13. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

^ ^ ^ :D

14. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Weird - quote gone????
    Geren - link please to the photo? :)

Kate
    PS
    I've always wondered if he'd find my shot of two little boys obliviously playing footie underneath one of his photographs on display in Deauville as amusing as I do.

That was strange. I clicked on reply with quote but it didn't come up.

15. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

Don't know what's going on here today with this forum...all sorts of odd little glitches keep surprising me!

Anyway, photo is here... https://www.flickr.com/photos/geren-argyll/14884303479/in/album-72157647069801965/

I'm not claiming it's great, but it does amuse me. The boardwalk at Deauville is regularly host to outdoor photographic exhibitions, often relating to the town itself, horse racing or the celebrities that used to hang out there in the 'glory days'. There was an interesting exhibition of Yul Brynner's work one summer. Trouble is, relatively few people actually seem to look at it. Certainly these boys were totally underwhelmed by the Man From Magnum's contribution to the horsey exhibition last year!