1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

March 2017 Theme - The Devil is in the Detail

Discussion in 'Forum Competitions and Themes' started by Fishboy, Feb 27, 2017.

1. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

Well yes, but I think I'd have been a bit miffed at being made to wear the same clothes as my much younger sibling as well!

2. Craig20264

Craig20264 Well-Known Member

Ah yes, I never spotted that!

3. Dorset_Mike

Dorset_Mike Grumpy Old Fart

Are torn jeans still "in"? Or is daddy out of date?

4. Craig20264

Craig20264 Well-Known Member

Another oldie

Bracken-2-LR.jpg

Catriona, Fishboy and Geren like this.
  5. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

I believe they are back 'in' again as my daughter was trying to persuade me to allow her to rip her jeans the other day. I apparently am sooooooo lame for not agreeing!

6. Trannifan

Trannifan Well-Known Member

My jeans are a bit threadbare but that's natural wear!

Lynn

7. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

Detail of a little devil...

[​IMG]

EightBitTony, Fishboy and Geren like this.
  8. Fishboy

Fishboy Well-Known Member

Well, it's time for me to make a decision.

Reading back over the thread I've been really impressed by all of the entries as well as the conversational tangents that some of them have taken people on! It's been an incredibly difficult choice to decide the winner for the month, and even as I write I'm torn between two of the entries. Before I have to finally make my mind up, there were some pictures that I really liked:

Some of Catriona - Kate's entries have been stunning - from the dreamy simplicity of the fritillaria stem in a vase through to the colours and details of her 'sun dried'...er...pastry brush (?).

El-Sid - Nigel's 'Lichen It' was another one that stood out for me - beautifully detailed and coloured.

Dream Police - Nige's Daffodil was great - the amount of detail packed into a simple composition is stunning.

I've been really impressed by Shinnen - John's entries - particularly the macro shots of insects of which the 'Black-Eyed Suzanne' was a favourite of mine.

Now it gets really tough...

There are two that I really like for completely different reasons. They're Zou's 'Weathered' and Andrew Flannigan's 'The Devil is in the Lack of Detail'.

'Weathered' is beautifully observed and I love the subtle tones - the left side of the picture seen in isolation could easily be mistaken for one of the detailed pictures of the Earth taken from the International Space Station.

'The Devil is in the Lack of Detail' is a completely different beast - taken (I assume) through the front window of the top deck of a bus. If Vincent van Gogh had lived in Okehampton and had regularly caught the 6A bus to Exeter bus station, this is what he'd have painted. The splash of colour from the yellow bollard is lovely.

There can, however, be only one winner, so my final decision is that Zou's 'Weathered' takes this month's 'prize'. Congratulations, it really is a lovely piece of work!

Once again, well done to everybody who posted, I've really enjoyed seeing all the entries and look forward to finding out what the next month has to offer.

Cheers, Jeff

Craig20264, Zou, AlanW and 3 others like this.
  9. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

I love these monthly themes, as much for the fact that there are ten pages of posts and trawling back through them to find those mentioned in the end of month round up is a treat!

Well done Zou - 'Weathered' was indeed lovely!

Zou, RogerMac, Catriona and 1 other person like this.
  10. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Well done Zou! It reminds me of the wall leading up to the tweed shop in town. A favourite of mine. :)

Thank you for the compliments Jeff. I have a smile on my face.
    Like Geren, I love the monthly themes and look forward to the next challenge every time. Well done to everyone who makes it a treat to see the entries - and to have a blether throughout, without feeling guilty about it.

Kate

Zou likes this.
  11. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

Well done Zou. A very subtle picture but no shortage of detail.:cool:

Thanks for 'lichen' my entry Jeff...:)

Zou and Fishboy like this.
  12. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Ooh, that's made my day! :) I'll have a think and have a new theme up by bedtime tomorrow. Remind me the protocol, do I start it in lounge etc and ask a mod to move it?

Catriona likes this.
  13. Fishboy

Very well deserved.

As to starting the new one that's about it - I think I started this one in the Exhibition Lounge but I don't reckon that it really makes much difference.

Cheers, Jeff

14. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

Yep. Start a post, then report your own post asking for it to be moved.

15. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

Congrats to Zou (grinds teeth and spits. Again! I may be taking these comps a bit too seriously... ;))
    And even though it's too late...
    [​IMG]
    If you want to hide on the back of a daffodil, the little detail of your weight should probably be included in the equation somewhere...

Geren likes this.
  16. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

Darn it! I went hunting in Brixham this morning because I thought I had today to put my last effort in. Well done Zou but I'm putting this last one in anyway... :D

[​IMG]

Geren and Catriona like this.
  17. Fishboy

Sorry about this chaps - I reckoned that the decision had to be made in time for the winner to make a choice for the next subject and get the thread posted for the start of the month.

That said, if Zou posts an absolutely outlandish monthly theme tomorrow morning, how will we know whether it's an 'April Fool' joke or not?

Cheers, Jeff

Zou, Geren, Catriona and 1 other person like this.
  18. Bazarchie

Bazarchie Well-Known Member

Perhaps April Fool will be the theme.

Geren likes this.
  19. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

Look, just because my birthday is in April... :mad: