1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

March, 2010 - FirstView Comments

Discussion in 'FirstViews [Archive]' started by huwevans, Mar 1, 2010.

1. huwevans

huwevans Not Really Here

This thread is for comments arising from the March 2010 picture thread.

2. MickLL

MickLL Well-Known Member

Mods,

What's going on? I tried uploading to the gallery (same file as you see in my firstview post) and it ended up as 99 pixels.

Hence no upload to the gallery.

MickLL

3. huwevans

huwevans Not Really Here

Hmmm. I don't know the answer, but I can say you're not the first to have had problems with the gallery today - although not necessarily the same problems. I'll have it looked into. (i.e. I'll ask TFC if he can maybe lift the bonnet and have a rumage around.)

Until whatever is causing the problems is resolved, I can only apologise to you and anyone else who has experienced difficulties. If you're able to upload your pictures to somewhere else and link them in from there, please do. Hopefully the gallery site will be working properly soon and we can edit posts and links as appropriate.

4. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Worked OK for me just now.

5. TheFatControlleR

TheFatControlleR :Devil's Advocaat: Forum Admin

FirstView Gallery Issues

Well, I can't see any issues with the gallery itself. I've seen another user post successfully, plus used a couple of dummy accounts to test upload without a problem.

There's ample space on the server, the usergroups have adequate quotas, there's loads of bandwidth (beginning of the month), I can't see what's the coup here, assuming users are sticking to the AP file size restrictions (600pixel max @ 100Kb). [​IMG]

6. Fen

Fen <span style="font-weight: bold; color: #AF7817;">L

Re: Pre-work book and coffee

Damn fine series of books.

7. MickLL

MickLL Well-Known Member

Re: FirstView Gallery Issues

I think that it may be my fault - brain in neutral and posted before thinking.

Maybe I linked to the album thumbnail instead of the full image. If the image below is proper size then that's what I guess I did.

Sorry to have bothered you.

MickLL

[​IMG]

8. Barney

Barney Well-Known Member

Well I've just tried again and again I'm met with;

:mad: :D

9. TheFatControlleR

No worries Mick. ;)

I've taken the liberty of editing your post and linking to the image in the FV Gallery.

10. huwevans

huwevans Not Really Here

Mmmm - somewhat paradoxical. Could it be something to do with the filename, perhaps - some illegal characters maybe, or a name that has already been used by someone else? Coppermine seems to throw every uploaded file into the same directory, so one way or another they have to have unique filenames. TBH, though, I would have expected it just to rename a file that was being uploaded if it clashed with something that was already there, so maybe I'm just clutching at straws here. But I don't know what else to suggest.

11. MickLL

MickLL Well-Known Member

Thanks TFC.

Mick

12. TheFatControlleR

Oi! Erm!!

Foucault schmoucault; get stuck into Žižek and de Montaigne. :rolleyes:

13. ermintrude

ermintrude Hinkypuff

Re: Oi! Erm!!

Id love to :(Im currently writing one on logical positivism and the verification principle. "Logical positivism is a mind-numbing useless pile of toss" is a tautology, right? :(

After this one its 4 more essays and a dissertation before May 5th then I leave the world of studentdom :( Gonna be Badiou for politics, induction for epistemology and I dont think I have any choice but Foucault for S&M as D*l*uze & G*att*ri appear the philosophical equivalent of Flying $hit. Here's one I drew earlier:

[​IMG]

14. Jacqui Jay

Jacqui Jay Grasshopper's Sage

Rufford Abbey (1)

I've just posted my first photograph to this forum in the FirstView feature. I hope I've got it right; I used the medium size from Flickr. If not, please let me know and I will give it another go.

Thank you, Jacqui

15. huwevans

huwevans Not Really Here

Re: Rufford Abbey (1)

It's 190kB, I'm afraid, which is well over our limit of 100kB. You might need to use more image compression before uploading it to Flickr. See the Posting images... tutorial (especially the stuff on file sizes) if you're unsure about how to do that.

I'll have to delete it for the moment, but if you can get the file size down to 100kB you can then repost it as normal.

Other than that - welcome to FirstView! :)

16. TheFatControlleR

Or better still, upload to the FV Gallery... :)

17. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

Re: Oi! Erm!!

What ?? No professori Erm :eek: :eek: :eek: Come Nic, you know there
    is no better life than academia :)

Cheers and early congrats :cool: ...if you do leave the academia world.

Jack

18. Jacqui Jay

OK, I've tried again. I work on a Mac so couldn't quite follow the graphics but I used Save for Web and when I loaded it, I think it was around 87k. Fingers crossed.

19. Jacqui Jay

Sorry, I didn't see this. I'll have a look later at the Gallery. Thank you both for your help.

20. Jacqui Jay

Sorry to be dim, but can someone who works on a Mac give me the idiot's guide? :D