1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Manchester locations

Discussion in 'Photographic Locations' started by james_dean1986, Feb 4, 2015.

1. james_dean1986

james_dean1986 New Member

I have been asked by my firm to "shoot Manchester" (vague i know) and then they are going to display those photos in frames and on canvases around the Manchester office.

The issue is I have only ever been to Manchester once but went straight from the train to the office and back, so I literally know nothing of the area.

Any suggestions on places to shoot? Hopefully going to do an overnight trip to capture place that look better at night as well.

If you have a google account I have set this map up to mark locations.
    https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=z2hwXyaX7YUU.kfod6eRtBKQ8

Cheers,
    James

2. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

Like many places Manchester has changed in the 50 years since I moved away. How about seeking out some of Frances Frith's images from about a century ago, and shooting your own up to date version from a similar viewpoint? Areas which really have changed a lot are the docks area where Media City and the Imperial War Museum (North) are sited. Areas close to Manchester Cathedral have also been tidied up, and the market in Shude Hill where live pigeons were sold has gone. Stockport (now within Gtr Manchester) with its hills and narrow streets, was one of my rich hunting grounds, except that I took few photographs there. Try Underbank & Chestergate, for example - or the now preserved Covered Market with its cast iron structure.

3. ashaughnessy

ashaughnessy New Member

Lots of good locations around the canals, such as the Castlefield area (immediately to the south of the old Granada studios). Especially for B/W shots. Some very impressive presumably victorian iron, brick and stonework and the water can be a very useful composition feature.

Anthony