1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mains water supplies and "Resilience"

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Malcolm_Stewart, Mar 7, 2018.

1. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

A year ago I was told by someone in the construction industry that water storage in domestic cisterns sited in the loft was "old hat" and a waste of space, and that modern houses were being built without cisterns. At the time, I thought this was a stupid idea, and seeing last night's TV, with just 6 bottles of bottled water being handed to householders in areas now facing a loss of mains water, has confirmed my views.
    Zou likes this.
  2. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

Nothing to do with "old hat" or waste of space, just a method of saving a few quid.

I have several times been without mains supply, this time for two and a half days. I got a message saying they were handing out bottles just after the supply came back. Thank god for attic storage and water butts in the garden.

Andrew Flannigan likes this.
  3. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

Domestic cisterns are not suitable for supplying drinking water. However for every thing else they make a lot of sense.
    The trend seems to be to run everything off the rising main. Especially people with combi-boilers. but it means you have to have suitable non return valves all over the place.
  4. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

If I was pushed, I'd boil it first - just in case there's a dead mouse in the cistern.
    Terrywoodenpic likes this.
  5. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

Have to say that I prefer the modern high pressure systems and resilience can / should be provided by other means. When I converted our system to high pressure it freed up space for a shower room. Also insurance companies are more accommodating if the loft does not contain water pipes.
  6. SqueamishOssifrage

SqueamishOssifrage Well-Known Member

I don't have a cistern in the loft, since we have no loft. I do, however, have two, two tonne tanks at the top of the garden, and I have recently purchased a further one tonne tank as a back up. Come the zombie apocalypse...
  7. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

that's where they'll be coming from...:rolleyes:
  8. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Oh I remember when the cisterns were removed from the loft, when my combi boiler was put in. You could have grown plenty in the peaty residue taking up about 6 inched at the bottom. Yeuk!!
    We had more problems with birds, not mice. Somehow they found their was into the lofts of my old house.

I do think there should be some way to have a fresh water emergency cistern installed since having a combi boiler and direct feed toilet cisterns can cause problems in supply if cut off. No hot water, No cold water. No feed to toilets. I know when I had scheduled water cuts at my old house I made sure the bath was filled with cold water!
  9. SqueamishOssifrage

SqueamishOssifrage Well-Known Member

No way - it's where I keep my sharks with frickin' laser beams.
    Zou likes this.
  10. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Separating potable and non-potable water for flushing toilets and even washing clothes requires the installation of two separate plumbing systems, however. I've looked at the practicalities (I have a well) and decided that it's not realistic.

Terrywoodenpic likes this.
  11. Terrywoodenpic

But with a new build or total refurb project, probably easily doable, and worth it in the long term.
    However it would be a major project in most existing properties, especially the thick stonewalled ancient variety.

I knew one house that added bath and shower water to the recycle supply. Some times the loo flushed with added bubbles.
    Roger Hicks and Catriona like this.
  12. Terrywoodenpic

Unfortunately that is usually at the expense of an airing cupboard. which I would not wish to lose.

When I had a new boiler fitted two years ago I went with a heat only boiler again. I did take advantage of the drain down, to have some pipework corrected. and a more efficient pump and in line filter and auto air vent installed. Since then I have been warmer at lower cost, and have never had to vent the radiators.
    A previous experience with Combi boiler pressure issues put me off them.
    Catriona likes this.
  13. Catriona

So I can stop feeling guilty them as I see the pressure dropping half a bar in 3 months. I'm pretty darned certain there's no leaks!
  14. Terrywoodenpic

You cant stop dissolved air coming out of the water
    It is what they do:mad: some cut out mid shower and won't repressure:eek:

My Boiler might pack up, when it does it will not take much effort to change it for another, all it does is heat water.
    Catriona likes this.
  15. Catriona

Yes, I';m now on my second combi boiler system. Oil first and very efficient, gas now and just as efficient in new house. However, with my solo usage, I feel certain it is more costly than it need be.
  16. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

I could manage on bottled water for cooking and drinking for a few days. I have lots of paper plates and cups left over from long ago barbecues so that does away with washing up, also eight 200 litre water buts intended for garden use but would be enough to flush the loo at least 40 times.(If its yellow let it mellow; if its brown flush it down would help). As for washing myself and clothes I would just hope that everybody stank as much as me.
    ascu75 and Zou like this.
  17. ascu75

ascu75 Well-Known Member

I had to laugh on the TV tonight people were moaning about getting £75 compensation for the loss of water for one day. I pay 40 quid a month for my water which equates to £1,30 per day and people were moaning it is not enough. Greed me thinks.
  18. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

I agree up to a point. £1:30 per day would do iff the CEO and all executive directors transfered all last year's bonuses to a charity fund. To avoid additional costs, the fund used could be that used to distribute money from the National Lottery. No free draws of course.