1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Magpie query

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Dorset_Mike, Jun 14, 2018.

1. Dorset_Mike

Dorset_Mike Grumpy Old Fart

Is there any easy way to differentiate between male and female; just had two pecking around outside the window, they looked identical but I would guess they were a pair with young as they are frequent visitors here in recent weeks.

2. MickLL

MickLL Well-Known Member

Google is your friend!!

"Generally, telling the sex of an adult magpie is often quite easy. The distinguishing feature lies in the white hood on the back of their heads and necks. Female magpies tend to be greyer at the lower end of the hood, while adult male magpies will have very white hoods right to the bottom."

MickLL

3. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

RSPB handbook doesn't bother to discriminate between the two - it just says that the male is slightly larger than the female. The juvenile has a shorter tail and is less "shiny" appearing more dull. It is coming up to moult time (June/July) so hard to distinguish I would say.

4. ascu75

ascu75 Well-Known Member

Every day is a school day, I just say hello to them and ask "hows your wife and family"
    My daughter asked why we do this as a family and my wife said because "my mum and dad always did it" so for once I am not to blame!!

Catriona and spinno like this.
  5. Fishboy

Fishboy Well-Known Member

I was always told to salute and say "good morning Mr Magpie" - a bit embarrassing if you're sat on the bus!

Cheers, Jeff

6. David Loxley

David Loxley Well-Known Member

Mike,
    Under these circumstances I like the response in 'Big Bang Theory', where Penny advised Sheldon, " Just read the book we gave you! "

D.Lox.

beatnik69 likes this.
  7. retrofit

retrofit Well-Known Member

Interestingly I have a regular magpie, he taps on our guest room window, very playful kind of chap and the other day the missus rang me saying he was knocking on the door to come in.