1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Made the mistake of travelling light...

Discussion in 'Canon Conflab' started by Malcolm_Stewart, Jul 15, 2017.

1. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

In another thread, I made it clear that I own several "Pro" L lenses and bodies. In the past, when I've used this gear shooting cyclists, either on street racing, or Tour of Britain, I've had good results - more than good enough to spot Bradley Wiggins or Mark Cavendish. Recently, I've tried to lighten the load somewhat, and last weekend, I used my EOS 7D MkII with the EF 135 F/2.8 SF. In a non-challenging environment, the combo gave me good results, but using it for last Sunday's cycle races returned very many Out of Focus shots. I varied the camera's settings, but whilst I did make some small improvements, referring back to my shots using "Pro" gear showed how well it can be done! Thankfully, I spotted this whilst shooting "apprentices" and have enough time to get familiar again with my heavy, Pro gear before September when I'm planning to shoot the Tour of Britain.
    (I did wonder whether to use my EF 135 F/2L, but that's a heavy lens and I expect is optimised for portraiture, rather than activity sports.)

Done_rundleCams likes this.
  2. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

I must say that I would expect this lens to be unsuitable for shooting cycle racing, but at the same time I can understand you keeping the weight to carry down. I would doubt that the AF could keep up with a fast target, the 135F2 would if nothing else be able to focus much faster.

3. Malcolm_Stewart

Well, with its early AFD type motor, it's certainly not designed for action sports, but on several shots it has tracked the cyclist quite well, and has resolved the fine weave of their clothing on several sequential shots. And on others, it's well out - and stays out, even though I was using AIServo.
    With my 1D MkIV and an EF 500mm F/4L IS, the AIServo AF is capable of catching up with small birds such as kingfishers after they've flown from perch to nest hole, and with an EF 70-200 F/4L IS on cyclists, I was getting close on 100% publishable shots - from a sharpness PoV. I've certainly used my EF 135mm F/2L for action shots on the 1D MkIV, but on the 7D II I felt the balance was out.
    Once again, I'm pleased that I gave the combo a trial before using it for real..

4. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

FWIW, Malcolm, if light (as opposed to dark ;) ) was not going to be an issue, I would have recommended
    the EF 70-200/4 :)

Cheers,

Jack

5. Malcolm_Stewart

...And that it will be, the IS version with my 1D MkIV. I'll have to tone up with some press-ups or whatever!

6. Done_rundleCams

Nah, Malcolm, both the 70-200/4 and /4 IS versions are featherweights, relatively speaking :). The camera on the other hand :eek: .... ;)

cheers,
    Jack

7. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Jack's right. I had the IS for a few years and it's very light for a pro-spec tele zoom. Fairly long physically, though, which was my problem for carrying it.

8. Done_rundleCams

OOC, Nick,

What would or did you choose as a smaller alternative?

Cheers,

Jack

9. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

I actually went for the heavier and slower - but more compact - 70-300 L. I really needed the longer end anyway, and it fits much better in my bag.

10. Done_rundleCams

A brilliant lens, Nick, and much better, IMHO, than the 70-300 DO lens.

Cheers,

Jack

11. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

That it is, Jack. One of my all-time favourites, actually.