1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

macro flash

Discussion in 'Help Team' started by iwan, Mar 10, 2018.

1. iwan

iwan Member

Hi i am looking for info on macro flash setups i am thinking along the lines of a flash bracket with mini ball head or do i go for flexi single arm? thanks.

2. peterba

peterba Well-Known Member

Some years ago, while doing some macro work, I found using flash on a bracket too constricting. I subsequently had some success using a hand-held flash on a cable (connected to the hot shoe). Although it can be a little awkward to manage overall, the flexibility is very welcome, since the direction of light can adjusted quickly and easily.

Such matters are, of course, somewhat subjective, and it's very possible that you'll see this differently. :)

iwan likes this.
  3. iwan

iwan Member

hi thanks yes i have thought about this as well as you have more control of where to place light for different effects.

peterba likes this.
  4. peterba

Of course, if you're keen - and are prepared to invest a little more - you might want to try using flash activated without a cable. This reduces some of the in-use awkwardness to which I referred, and is quite readily achieved by a variety of methods.

iwan likes this.
  5. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Not my subject but I had a little search on "macro flash setup". I think a lot depends on what the subject is and where you are working; whether mixing natural light or using artificial only.

iwan and peterba like this.
  6. Roger_Provins

Roger_Provins Well-Known Member

I've used a ringlight for macro and close-ups but they give a shadowless light which is not always what you want.

peterba likes this.
  7. peterba

Yes, Roger - that's my experience, too. The results tend to be "technically" good, but aesthetically... utterly tedious, IMO.

iwan likes this.
  8. iwan

iwan Member

I don't want to go the ring light way roger thanks, peterob yes i will mix light sources, peterba my camera does not do wireless but yes slave mode and using reflector etc probably go with handheld flash and softbox but just wanted to know about bracket and mini ballhead option and see if anyone has much success with it, the handheld mode seems best option and live view on those low angled tripod shots ! cheers.

peterba likes this.
  9. peterba

Just a thought - have you considered using a "snoot"? Excellent for controlling light in macro. Plenty of information available through Google.

You haven't said what subject matter you're photographing, but if you're interested in wildlife/insect macro, I would suggest a look at this site for some ideas/inspiration.

iwan likes this.
  10. iwan

iwan Member

Good idea re. snoot, flowers, fungi , insects or anything else that catches my eye, patterns, shapes etc.

peterba likes this.
  11. peterba

In that case [bold highlight], have a look on the link in my previous post. :)

12. PeteRob

13. iwan

iwan Member

Thanks again some amazing shots there you can practically see what that spider had for breakfast!.

peterba likes this.
  14. peterba

I think I'd prefer not to dwell on that particular aspect! :)

15. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

If you use Nikon then you may like https://www.camerapricebuster.co.uk/Nikon/Nikon-SLR-Flash/Nikon-SB-R1C1-Wireless-Close-Up-Speedlight
    Extra speedlights can be added to the ring for about £140 each. This apparatus does allow modelling, unlike ring flashes.
    I would not buy new. I would expect Nikon to release replacements to the SB-R200 which in spite of the 'R' in the name is not radio, but is IR controlled. Nikon is in the process of transitioning their wireless flash from IR to radio control. Nikon is a very conservative organisation and are just getting to grip with James Clerk Maxwell's discoveries of the 1860's.

16. alfbranch

alfbranch Well-Known Member

Andrew Flannigan likes this.
  17. PeteRob

That's with a set of three extension tubes?

18. alfbranch

alfbranch Well-Known Member

The above Collembola shot was taken with a Single 25 mm tube instead and has a field of view of 8mm across

My Olympus OMD E-M1 with 3 m4/3 Kooka tubes a MMF3 converter and Sigma 105 f 2.8 lens and Raynox M-250 Nissin Di466 flash with homemade diffuse.

To get this again taken handheld which is why its not square on

[​IMG]105-mag-test-tubes&R by Alf Branch, on Flickr