1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mac book or something else?

Discussion in 'Computer Related Help & Discussion' started by Rasha, Sep 21, 2017.

1. Rasha

Rasha Well-Known Member

I've had a macbook air for around 5 years, it's still working but a bit slower and sometimes it just hangs which is new. So I was thinking I could upgrade but was not sure whether another macbook would do or better switch to something else. My problem with apple stuff is that they are a closed box, nothing to modify or change or fix but their endurance is impressive. I've found other stuff like Dell Inspiron, Lenovo and Asus that seem to offer an excellent performance but I am still not quite sure how do they compare.
    When I got my macbook air it was like I have just bought a rocket vs a bike. What's our personal experience?

2. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

I've noticed the same thing on my MacBook Pro which is a 2011 running 10.9.5. I haven't been able to track down what's going on though cursoring down through folders with lots of images seems to be one cause. Purging the memory helps a lot and looking at pictures only by highlighting the required files and opening with Preview seems to stave off the problem. I have a couple of Linux machines which are fine for many things but the Mac is my default machine.

3. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

I have a 2011 MacBook Pro 15". It can be upgraded easily. Mine runs 16GB RAM with a 960GB SSD and runs Mac OS Sierra, I wouldn't call it slow.
    I also have, and am using at the moment a 2014 MacBook Pro 13" Retina with 16GB RAM and 256 SSD. The SSD can be upgraded using a Transcend Jet Drive 820, they aren't cheap though. This same upgrade will also fit my 2014 MacBook Air (bought in the USA specifically for travelling). There is a Jet Drive suitable for earlier MacBook Air computers but I don't know of a RAM upgrade.

I find both MacBook Pros to be very fast compared to most other computers I have used and I haven't noticed that they run any slower as time goes by. I would suggest investigating a SSD upgrade for the MacBook Air before looking elsewhere. The alternative might be a used MacBook Pro from CEX, they usually have products in very good condition at well below the cost of a new one.

4. Bazarchie

Bazarchie Well-Known Member

When my daughter's MacBook had the same symptoms, I changed the HDD for a larger capacity one and it worked fine and still does after 3 years.

5. Rasha

Rasha Well-Known Member

Makes sense will try that first, thanks.

6. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Do be aware that the MacBook Air does NOT have a conventional SSD but uses a circuit board with a number of memory chips. If you look up Transcend Jet Drive on Amazon you should find the right one for your MacBook Air.

7. Rasha

Rasha Well-Known Member

I was unaware of that, ordered now. Thanks

8. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Good for you, please let us know how you get on with the upgrade.