1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lumix GX80/85 OR Olympus OMD E-10 Mark II

Discussion in 'Talking Pictures' started by Thomas Keidan, Oct 19, 2017.

1. Thomas Keidan

Thomas Keidan Active Member

Hi All,

I've narrowed down my first camera options between these two but can't decide which one. I feel a few points may be useful in helping you to advise me:

1. I much much prefer the look of the GX80, the Olympus is too big and clunky for my liking.

2. Both are around the same price in the UK.

3. I would be buying one with the view to add a 20mm Panasonic Zuiko lens in the near future.

4. I'm not really bothered about the 4K video of the GX80 camera but am interested in street/urban photography and general snaps on holiday. I'm mainly interested in the still photo capabilities of the camera!

With this info please go go go with the recommendations!

Thanks

2. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

see point 1 for a reasoned answer- you've obviously handled the cameras to reach that conclusion so looks like the Panasonic wins. I have used Panasonic cameras and like the images produced but have only ever used Olympus film cameras so I can't make that call.

3. Thomas Keidan

Thomas Keidan Active Member

Thanks David, I'm leaning towards GX80 and prefer the feel and look but every review I read states the picture quality of the Oly is better!

4. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

You are the one who is going to use it. The "picture quality" is more qualitative than anything. You can always find a camera that some report says has "better picture quality" than another. These days they are all pretty good in daylight.

5. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

You can cross between the two with lenses. I have an Oly EM1 and PenF with a lot of Oly lenses, but Lumix 35-100 f2.8, which I love. I would never call the EM10 big though, it's tiny. Might as well go with what looks best for you. EM10 is supposed to be retro.

Check out the lens before you buy it, I'm not sure the Zuiko 20mm 1.7 has a great reputation, but I suppose the Lumix version might be different. For general use the 14-42 pancake is a great buy and really good image quality.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2017
  6. ascu75

ascu75 Well-Known Member

I like both cameras but as I have had Panasonic before I would go down that route but that is no recommendation. The old adage is ya pays ya money ya makes ya choice so get on with it and tell us what ya decided
    Don

spinno likes this.