1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Low Tide

Discussion in 'Appraisal Gallery' started by Jack D3200, Feb 11, 2019.

1. Jack D3200

Jack D3200 Well-Known Member

Shot this this morning with 70 - 300mm Nikkor Zoom at 300mm hand held. Co-existence-5.jpg

Zou, Roger Hicks and Andrew Flannigan like this.
  2. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

A nice place to be! I think that works well although the visibility isn't in your favour. The dehaze tool in LR, used gently, might put a bit more contrast in the background but is easy to over do. Resizing to 800 px rather than letting the browser shrink it to fit may also help to make the small version appear sharper. I can't tell how big it is from my ipad, but it downloaded quickly so I'll guess it is compressed to make the file small.

3. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

A symphony of layers, if I may use the term symphony loosely, and I love the end result. I wouldn't mess up the background either. As it is it show classic atmospheric recession and because it is pale not sharply defined it stays as the background and doesn't compete visually with the main subject(s).

This is :cool::cool::cool: picture...

alfbranch and Roger Hicks like this.
  4. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

I like that a lot, hazy background and all. I might try a little off the bottom, the grasses front left fight a little with the horses for the eye.

Adrian

alfbranch likes this.
  5. Chester AP

Chester AP Well-Known Member

Surely the 'low contrast' and muted colour of the background is a perfect example of atmospheric perspective?
    Which is one reason why so much HDR landscape work looks artificial.

alfbranch, Learning and Roger Hicks like this.
  6. Jack D3200

Jack D3200 Well-Known Member

Thanks for your comments.

What does BSRIPN mean?

Jack

7. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

I would leave the forground grasses alone as well as leaving the background alone. If you crop the grasses out then the horses would be too low in the frame.
    I like this very much as it is. If you must change anything then perhaps consider cloning out the lone gull that is approx one third in from the left at the same level as the horses.

8. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

I think it depends what you want to do with it. If just admire it yourself, then leave it as is. For any other purpose, I think you have to decide which way to go, as there are too many elements and they really aren't working as a recession. Perm any 2 from 3 as we used to say:

Option 1
    [​IMG]

Option 2
    [​IMG]

I'd go Option 1 myself, they are fine in the frame.

9. Mark101

Mark101 Well-Known Member

Option 1 looks cleaner and less fussy. Notice how the eye is drawn to the horses.

10. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

It's a question of depth. I don't see the grasses as distracting as such but they add an element of scale that is otherwise lacking. I'm equally minded as to the original or the suggested crops. They are all very nice, better light and different (better or worse) visibility would make it more special.

11. alfbranch

alfbranch Well-Known Member

I would keep it natural looking like this with the haze but would crop the grass from the bottom of the image