1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lost anything?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by RovingMike, Sep 25, 2017.

1. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Press release from South Western Railway Co who took over the SW franchise 6 weeks ago says so far lost property they have accumulated includes:

·Barrister’s wig

·Ironing board

·Pirate flag, complete with pole

·Leather lounge chair

·A pair of false teeth

·Giant inflatable shark

What is the most bizarre thing you have ever left on a train (or bus)?

2. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

Now there's the makings of an interesting still life! :cool:

Roger Hicks likes this.
  3. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

I leave a little bit of my dignity behind whenever I have to resort to public transport. ;)

dream_police and RovingMike like this.
  4. Fishboy

Fishboy Well-Known Member

I don't know about dignity, but I feel like I die a little more inside every time I catch a bus.

My trip home from work - well, technically it was a trip past my home and directly to the pub - on Friday was a nightmare. The driver of the first bus I caught must have previously been the helmsman of a supertanker. I base this assumption on his inability to get the bus through any reasonable, bus-sized gap between parked cars and the way he had to take up both sides of the road when turning a corner. The next bus was packed to the doors, and thanks to all of those passengers who'd paid extra so their bags could have a seat to themselves, I ended up sitting at the back of the top deck amongst various scrotes, not-rights and ne'er do wells. The journey seemed to take forever, and if I hadn't been going for a pint already, sitting amongst the absolute scum of Northern youth at the back of the bus would have driven me to drink anyway.

Cheers, Jeff

dream_police and Roger Hicks like this.
  5. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

I like my buses - and miss them now I'm in town. All life is there - you just have to talk.
    I've left my bag on the bus going home (old) from town. It was OK though. The driver dropped it off on his run back into town.

Roger Hicks likes this.
  6. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Dear Kate,

Some kinds of life are more attractive than others...

But yes, the idea of community is widely misunderstood. As I say in UBI, Regeneration and the Arts

A more stable population would have a much better chance of getting to know one another and thereby establishing a genuine community. This doesn't necessarily involve being constantly in and out of one another's houses, though it can be if that's what some people want. There's room too for the elderly semi-recluse, for the teenagers to hang out together because nobody understands them (did anyone ever understand teenagers? Not if you ask the teenagers), the Head Girl types who like organizing everyone into community activities. Not everyone is going to get on with everyone else, but the same applies to people in general as to perpetually misunderstood teenagers: life has always been like that.

Cheers,

R.

Catriona likes this.
  7. Catriona

Yes. I agree. We do actually have all sorts here. From alcoholics to Counts and close relatives of the Queen. Sometimes these things are not mutually exclusive! The Count used to fall asleep in the library. We let him and woke him up when it shut. Teenagers? Yes, plenty. They were once the children who shyly waved in passing me sitting on my doorstep. Often they chatter away and I love it. Yes, we have the recluses too - and I'm not one to attend organized events. I do pop into the odd sale of work in the local hall, but that's my limit. The guy who runs the Retirement Club (and cooks for the weekly lunch) was once a bomb disposal expert before becoming an Auditor. He still hails me with Heathcliffe!! I then get a hug.
    Communities are diverse. No-one should assume anything, though, until you actually talk to and get to know each other. Constant surprises.

8. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

I am in Spain at the moment with a couple of friends. We flew here with Ryanair. I did comment to them, that I don't use busses, so why the **** do I use Ryanair!

Catriona likes this.
  9. Roger Hicks

Dear Kate,

YES! The word "community" is all too often used by people who wouldn't recognize a real community if it bit them on the arse -- or gave them a hug, or bought them a cup of coffee. They apply it to "a group of people who look more or less similar to me as an outsider" or "a group of people who may have some shared goals, such as LGBT etc." There's a big difference between this and a community seen from the inside.

This is what makes the AP forum a community. We can (usually) put up with the village idiot, and we have (sometimes, regretfully) to put up with xenophobes and bigots; but we don't, unless they are quite spectacularly offensive, demand that they be banned. Even then, not always.

Cheers,

R.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2017
    Catriona likes this.
  10. Catriona

Yes, that attitude irritates the heck out of me, living here. A lot of outside organisations assume that 'we Islanders' are cut from the same cloth. I politely tell them we are simply a mixed population living on a small Island, but it never helps.
    I took part in a study over the last 6 months called Understanding Everyday Participation. It is a five year exercise being carried out by several Universities and led by Manchester University. I asked straight away - why over here? After a lot of hum and hawing the interviewer did say because you were considered 'different'. I'm hoping I have at least fought my corner that we are the same as everyone else!

Roger Hicks likes this.
  11. Footloose

Footloose Well-Known Member

Isolation usually leading to loneliness, is becoming more prevalent; children find they can't get jobs within a reasonable distance from their parents, and their parents are invariably far away from theirs too. The odd thing is that whilst the internet and IT has massively increased our ability to connect electronically with others, the concept of developing localised 'hubs' so people who work in offices, don't have to commute to work, just hasn't caught on, unless one happens to hold a fairly senior position. Is this because people such as supervisors and managers hate or are unnerved by the concept of not being able to physically look over the shoulders of those below them? As for the building of more and more offices, why is it that housing, (of a similar quantity to that working in the new office complex) and also within a reasonable distance of it's location, isn't also built? Maybe I'm a seriously deluded optimist?

12. Roger Hicks

Optimist, yes. Deluded, well, sometimes. So are we all. Seriously deluded? Probably not. Optimists are often called deluded by those whose interests lie in the status quo. I think it was Marx who said that understanding things is less important than trying to change them. Have you read the link I gave in Post 6?

Cheers,

R.

13. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

Abso-fragging-lutely! During my career I met hundreds of "managers" and very few of them could manage the proverbial drunken party. The ones who were good were memorable for their ability to identify who could do a particular job and making the right facilities available to complete each task. Most of them just had to be worked around rather than with. :(

spinno likes this.
  14. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

Aren't managers workers promoted beyond their level of incompetence or am I mixing my metaphors?

Roger Hicks likes this.
  15. Roger Hicks

Dear David,

Not always. Some are brought straight in as managers, without knowing a thing about the workers/business they are supposed to manage. Flogging used cars last week,running a ladies' underwear distribution chain next week, and managing the NHS this week.

Cheers,

R.

16. Catriona

I think traditionally some managers were promoted because they were good at the job they were doing.
    Big mistake most of the time.
    I've worked for them...
    I was one...
    and I must say I wasn't the best manager, because I always wanted to do the work myself. I was quite happy to train those who were keen, but if I couldn't motivate someone? I was useless in dealing with that.
    I also used to pray for my boss to go on holiday so that I could deal with the work piled up on his desk - which he failed to delegate, to me!
    Managers need to manage people. One in a hundred?

17. DaveM399

DaveM399 Well-Known Member

But did you actually book to go to Spain, or was Greece your intended destination?!!.....

18. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

Haha no Spain. TBF I have used them for years. Never paid much and knew what I was getting. This latest fiasco is a different kettle of fish. If they are the cheapest carrier I'd still use them though.

19. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

I was a manager on two occasions. I let people get on with the work and only interfering when necessary which was not every five minutes.

20. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

I thought managers had two main tasks.
    1) to make life easy for their superiors by suppling them with answers, not problems.
    2) to organise them selves out of a job.
    A department should be so well organised, trained and motivated, that the Boss has nothing more to do.

A third one might be to Save a minimum of their own salary each month, over and above, what they had saved the previous month.
    This is usually easy top do when starting in a new post....and like 2) above when achieved indicates time to move on.

Catriona likes this.